Status
Not open for further replies.

jejhnsn

Kelly the wagon
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contact seller
Hello. I have a 64 Dart with a 225 slant 6 auto. I had a master bearing kit put into my non-sure-grip 9 bolt 7 1/4 diff. The mechanic said I should put in new spider and side gears. His parts pusher said he couldn't get the gears. I was tasked with finding some. I looked on line and found a bunch of sellers who had spider gear kits for 7 1/4 Mopars. They all had a long list of cars their kits were suitable for. The 64 Dart but also as an example 77-81 Town & Country, 78-88 Magnum, 75-88 Gran Fury, 87-96 Dakota, 77-85 LeBaron, etc. The gear sets options included Motive Gear, Richmond, USA Gear and others. I was suspicious when I saw the 70s rigs listed but purchased a set of Richmonds. They don't fit (as I might have guessed). My car is very original and I want to keep it so, and I don't want to change out the diff. I am looking for a new set of OEM gears. Do you have a set lying around you would sell me, maybe after you replaced your 7 1/4 with something beefier? Thank you Erick Johnson Western Montana (the car is currently in Calif waiting for gears)

Dart 2 4 20 2.JPG

Last edited:
Are you positive it's a 7.25" ?

View attachment 1715586827
It is the original differential with the original gears. 25 spline 1.15" axle. I never considered it could be anything else. Could the car have been built with something else? Whose parts list is this? Yukon maybe. They have the same list of cars and I can't believe Mopar made no changes to the diff between the 9 bolt 1964 and 1980.

Last edited:
I've got a complete 7 1/4 with new brakes and cylinders, springs and drums. Free!
I'd love to take you up on that but I have rebuilt brakes and now rebearinged so don't need all that good stuff. Thanks for the offer!

You might consider selling me that beauty, and so solve your problem; I'll put something a lil more robust in there.

BTW
How'd you manage to mount that satellite dish atop your antenna? I'd be taking that off right away,lol.

All kidding aside, nice car, and I hope you find what you need.
Oh and I should mention that spiders should always be changed together with the matching side-gears; they wear out together. Your replacement spiders, installed on the old sidegears, will start to break-in to them, and will soon look just like the ones you're replacing. A sureGrip will go along way towards solving your problem, for a long time to come.

You might consider selling me that beauty, and so solve your problem; I'll put something a lil more robust in there.

BTW
How'd you manage to mount that satellite dish atop your antenna? I'd be taking that off right away,lol.

All kidding aside, nice car, and I hope you find what you need.
Oh and I should mention that spiders should always be changed together with the matching side-gears; they wear out together. Your replacement spiders, installed on the old sidegears, will start to break-in to them, and will soon look just like the ones you're replacing. A sureGrip will go along way towards solving your problem, for a long time to come.
Yes, sidegears also. I changed my original post. A suregrip would be nice but I haven't looked for one because I was told they are very hard to find. This car will be a dry day only driver. It still has its original dry cracked rubber around the windshield and rear side windows and so should not be out in the rain. I am going to keep it just as it is - a real survivor.

What part of California are you from. I live in Sanger, CA. I have 7 1/4 out of my 71 dodge dart with 276 gears. You can have it for free just come pick it up.

What part of California are you from. I live in Sanger, CA. I have 7 1/4 out of my 71 dodge dart with 276 gears. You can have it for free just come pick it up.
Hello. Kelly the wagon is in Santa Cruz. I am currently in Montana but I am going back to Santa Cruz in a month or so. Thank you so much for your offer. I will decline right now but when I get back to Santa Cruz I will reconsider. I could come your way with a pickup and pick it up. If someone wants it ahead of me go for it. I will get back to you either way. I appreciate your offer. The 276 gears would make it go down the highway (it has 293s now). Thank you again.

Hello. The more I think about it, the better your offer sounds. How tired is your 7 1/4? And do you know if it would be an easy swap out? (are the 71 and 64 diffs dimensionally the same externally) And does the 71 dart have the same axles (1.15" with 25 splines). I am new to the 7 1/4 world - there is so much I have to learn. So if you think or know the swap out would be workable, then it would be easier than finding spider and side gears, and then putting them in a diff that is probably worn in the pinion arena. I will not be in Santa Cruz for probably a month but could then cruise on down to Sanger. My ex-inlaws were from Auberry so I have spent a lot of time there and in Fresno. Thank you

Last edited:
For the measurements I'm not to sure. Your welcome to grab it for free. It's been covered for three years. So whenever you have the chance to come by, its here.

For the measurements I'm not to sure. Your welcome to grab it for free. It's been covered for three years. So whenever you have the chance to come by, its here.
Great. Do you have an idea how many miles it might have on it? I will be in Santa Cruz in a month or so, and then I will get in touch I guess via this forum and find out your address. Cheers

Not to sure on the miles. It ran great with no issues. My speedo on my dart didn't really work at the time. I picked up the dart about 3 years ago in Bakersfield. It sat for 4 years under a plastic tarp.

Not to sure on the miles. It ran great with no issues. My speedo on my dart didn't really work at the time. I picked up the dart about 3 years ago in Bakersfield. It sat for 4 years under a plastic tarp.
OK thanks. I will be getting in contact with you in a month or so. I appreciate your help.

Hello themoparman73. After much discussion with several knowledgeable friends I have decided to drive the Dart to it's new home in Montana with the existing gears, and then change out the 7 1/4 for something with a little more beef. I am planning on the gears being able to make it 1,000 miles! If a major failure occurs a friend will come and get me with his trailer. SO, I respectfully decline your offer of a 7 1/4 diff. Thank you for your offer. jejhnsn

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back