7 1/4 rear diff question.

-

anarchy0392

Reaction score
I have found a set of forged spider gears brand new for the 7 1/4. The spider gears are the known weak point of the 7 1/4. So I figure would these work on a mild 318 build until I could find a 8 1/4 or a 8 3/4 rear around me? Has anyone had forged spider gears in the 7 1/4? If so were you happy with them?

Never usedloved aftermarket spider gears B4...If im not mistaken, a suregrip unit or rebulding with a similar clutch activated unit or locker will be alot stronger....my experince with breakingthe em its usually OK unless you really beat on it or like to dog leg down the block...wich sounds like you know better and will swap in a 8.75 soon enough. I might just leave it alone, save the ca$h for resizeing and new axels 8.75...i didintcan blow up myopen 7.25 for quite awile just doing burnouts in my drivewa... to each thier own, but by all means give it a try and let us know how long it lasts!

Bump and thank you im not sure yet they are $150. Which is cheaper and easier to get than a 8 1/4 or 8 3/4 around here if anyone around here is selling one its usually just the case or its been shortened which i cant use with out tubbing. And also i would have to change my driveshaft length. I may get them just so i have some form of reliability untill i fine a good rear end. Until them more thoughts and opinions are appreciated.

You could just go with a poor mans spool and weld the ones you have. If you're needing spider gears, I get $20 each for them, good used.

I've used the seven and a quarter in my Barracuda with a 360 in it for years, I would however like to get 323 /355 gear for it if anybody knows where they make those. it's made it five years and I have a back up seven and a quarter so I have pretty good trust in it even taking it to the drag strip a couple of time

Summit has gear sets for the 7 1/4's. But there is a split on the carrier as far as ring gear ratios that will work on them, From my understanding if you have a 2.76 or numerically higher you can go to 3.?? If your a 2.56 or numerically lower you have to get a different carrier. I could be wrong this is what I was told by a place that sells gears.

taking it apart to find out but doinWheel turn thing I think I have a 2.76

8.25 simple upgrade and a very simple rear disc brake setup for it as well.

-
Back