7 1/4 rear end

-

Snake

Mopar Nut
Reaction score
This 69 dart i have has the 7 1/4 rear end with 4 inch bolt circle.can i swap in axles with the large bolt circle.i plan to upgrade the front to large bolt but no plans as yet to change the rear.can I do this and what rear or doner car should look for.only a 318 now but in 2 years I will drop in a BB well you know the rest.many thanksssssssssssssss.Don:snakeman:

Save time, money and effort and just wait it out to get a 8-3/4 or better rear for the car.

Snake, if you really want to move up to a LBP wheel right now, I am wondering if your 7.25 flanges would accept being drilled for a LBP (and if so, I would suggest filling in the original SBP holes). I have done this with 8.75 axles but never with 7.25 axles. Again, it's worth looking into if you really want to get LBP wheels on there and also since your not pushing any big HP to them ... for now. ;) If the drilling isn't feasible, you could go look for an 8.25 with LBP but at that point (and as Rumble said) you may just want to wait. Good luck.

the guy's at Moser told me they wouldn't drill out a 7 1/4 axle because there is not enough face on the axle. Your best bet is like any one on here will tell you, just look for another rear. We all know how hard it is to find a A-body 8 3/4 already wearing the 4.5 bolt circle is so your best bet is the 8 1/4.

thanks tom but how do i find it by using thoes dates

I did a search using his user name and scrolled down to the date. There were 7 1/4" axles with BBP but the axles are too short to swap into your rear end. You can swap the complete BBP 7 1/4" ('73-'76 A body), upgrade to a beefier rear end, or use adapters. Them's your options. I have the same dilemma on my '66 Valiant. I am running adapters until I can get the axles cut for the 8 3/4" in the basement.

As long as you keep the tube size the same, the A-body axles interchange freely. Because of different ring gear and center section sizes, driveshafts have to be swapped too. When tube sizes change you need to change axle clamps and bolts.

-
Back