7 1/4 rear?

-

TF360

Reaction score
Is it possible to swap small bolt pattern axles for large bolt in a 7 1/4 rear end? Who makes the big bolt pattern axles?

I'm very far from an expert but I'm fairly certain that factory big bolt 7 1/4 axles will not work in a small bolt housing. I'm not sure what all the differences are but I think the housing length is even different between the two. I'm sure you'll get replies shortly from those that know for sure.

Cannot swap LBP, and SBP 7 1/4 axle shafts. The bearings are different size. The easiest way to get LBP with a 7 1/4 is to redrill the SBP axles and drums, or swap the complete axle assy. I don't think any one makes a LBP axle for the small 7 1/4. Personally, I wouldn't spend much money on a 7 1/4 axle assy . Parts are getting very hard to find. The easiest way to tell the LBP shaft from the SBP shaft is the bearing retainer. SBP retainer has 4 bolt holes, and the LPB retainer has 5 bolt holes

There's a sticky about axles on this site....pretty sure that's explained, along with a whole lot of other groovy info on mopar rears.

I agree, once you start dumping money in a 7.25 you may as well upgrade to an 8.25 or 8.75.
LBP 7.25 rears are not easy to find either.

Off the subject a smidgen, but what breaks most often in a 7-1/4?? Isn't it the pinion, not the axles??

Off the subject a smidgen, but what breaks most often in a 7-1/4?? Isn't it the pinion, not the axles??
Spider gears on an open rear. Actually a 7 1/4 SG is a lot stronger then people realize. I ran 7 1/4 rear for years in my drag/street cars. 3200 lbs weight, slicks and nitrous. high 12's, low 13's. Never broke one, but did wear out some SG clutches. "Back in the day" there were lots of ratios available. 3.91, 4.10, 4.56, 4.88, 5.13, and I was told, but never saw one, 5.38

Last edited:
Is an aspen/volare rear same dimensions? My 7.25 in the aspen is bbp?

I never completely broke a 7 1/4 but they always seemed to whine more than a millennial.

-
Back