7 1/4 Rearend issues

-

65WaxUcuda

Barracuda Freak
Reaction score
Hey i got a 65 cuda with a 7 1/4 rearend im sure. Is there much you can do to this rearend as far as bite wise without tearing it up. As i am looking for some bite. maybe a gear swap? if so? does anyone know where you can buy parts for a 7 1/4. Or if a 7 1/4 is even worth messing with. Thnx - jeff

depends on what you intend to run for a motor. some 7.25 rears can be blown up behind a built slant six.. seen it happen.

most people liek to upgrade to a bigger rear. 8.25 rears are an option along with 8.75 rears and some guys go a little furthur and change to a 8.8 or 9 inch ford.

depends like i said, where you want to go with this.

Fine yourself a 8 3/4 rear. The 8 1/4 rears are large bolt pattern. Unless you're gonna change the pattern up front to match. It ain't gonna be cheap, but it'll last as long as the car.

Well, upgrading to a nice 8.25 and upgrading the front to nice disc brakes will probably be cheaper than going to an 8.75 out back...not to mention that if he won't lose as much power with the 8.25....

This is the project i have been working on! Any body on the forums who has done a rear swap on a 65 cuda? I need to find a good resource for info on the 8.25 vs 8.75

tokyo joe.JPG

nice looking cuda wax, what do you have for engine,trans?(i have the 273 commando and 4sp) All i know is that it depends on how the car is driven if it is going to break or not. I was told by many that the R200 in my datsun was super strong and pretty much indistructable, Well i broke three of them :toothy3: I get on here and talk to the guys and they tell me to swap out my 7.25 because it is weak. I beleive them and want an 8.25 or 8.75 but right now i dont have the cash. So what i am going to do is see how long this rear can last with me(i drag race a lot) I do have to say that it has held up better in the last 1000 miles than my other three in my datsun. I would get about 1k miles on my datsun rearends before they would break, that was with good rear ends. The rear in my cuda has been worn out since i got it on the road my dad told me he beat the crap outta it, i did a quick fix when the shaft that holds one set of the spider gears broke. That seems to be the only weak spot in this diff from what i can tell anyone else break anything else in these? I'd like to find out more about the 7.25's and see what breaks and the best way i know how is to break it myself :evil2:

-
Back