1969DartCustom

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contact seller
Hi everyone,

I’m looking for. 7 1/4 ring and pinion.

I’m going from slant 6 to 318 magnum and an A833 with the OD gear in my 69 Dart

Currently have 2.76 gear (or whatever is slant 6)

Want a 3.23 or even 3.55 a cruiser to make good use of the OD 4 speed.

Unless the 2.76 works but I have a feeling might be too much for the clutch

Would be shipped to San Jose CA

At minimum, find an 8-1/4 a body axle or plan on converting to a ford 8.8 or Mopar 8-3/4 axle. The 7-1/4 is a guaranteed time bomb (with a very short fuse, at that!) with a 5.2 magnum and a 4 speed.

I did see the video of that 8.8 swap.

8 3/4 are harder to find here and the few I’ve found range from $1000 for a narrowed one and 2k for another one that’s been built.

8.8 might be the way to go.

Figured the 7 1/4 might live behind the 318 for a while as my daily since some v8 cars came with it.

I did see the video of that 8.8 swap.

8 3/4 are harder to find here and the few I’ve found range from $1000 for a narrowed one and 2k for another one that’s been built.

8.8 might be the way to go.

Figured the 7 1/4 might live behind the 318 for a while as my daily since some v8 cars came with it.
If you are mindful then it will be fine, but what is the point of daily driving a muscle car if you can’t dump the clutch and spin some donuts?

Look for an 8 1/4, buy some gears and a trac lok for it and you will be good to go. Or for very similar $$$ get the 8.8 set up to swap in.

If you are mindful then it will be fine, but what is the point of daily driving a muscle car if you can’t dump the clutch and spin some donuts?

Look for an 8 1/4, buy some gears and a trac lok for it and you will be good to go. Or for very similar $$$ get the 8.8 set up to swap in.

True haha,

The plan was to gather up parts as I drive it. It’s currently my Daily driver and im getting ready to swap in the 318. I have a rebuild 904 for it as well but found a 76 A833.

Since I would be driving it daily, figured I would secure a rear end later and swap it in.

My other car is a 67 Buick Gs with 430 engine and 3.73 rear, definitely not highway friendly but I’m going to swap in a gear vendor unit I have on the shelf after I get the v8 into the dart. I can drive that while I build up the dart ( if I find a rear in the future)

Was hoping to keep the dart mild and a daily since it definitely would be a bit more highway friendly.

On the fence on the A833 OD but I always like rowing through gears

True haha,

The plan was to gather up parts as I drive it. It’s currently my Daily driver and im getting ready to swap in the 318. I have a rebuild 904 for it as well but found a 76 A833.

Since I would be driving it daily, figured I would secure a rear end later and swap it in.

My other car is a 67 Buick Gs with 430 engine and 3.73 rear, definitely not highway friendly but I’m going to swap in a gear vendor unit I have on the shelf after I get the v8 into the dart. I can drive that while I build up the dart ( if I find a rear in the future)

Was hoping to keep the dart mild and a daily since it definitely would be a bit more highway friendly.

On the fence on the A833 OD but I always like rowing through gears
Easy, swap the automatic in with the 318. Keep the 318 stock, and keep the 7 1/4 and drive it like a normal car while you save up for fun parts. Once you have it ALL, blow it apart and change the attitude.

Sorry, I don’t mean to post all this in your wanted ad. I think you are better served not spending a dime on the 7 1/4. It’s hard to find gears(above 3.23) and the sure grips are like hens teeth, expect to pay $300+ just for that. At that point it cost the same to have the rear end setup(if you can’t DIY) so you might as well only pay once.

Easy, swap the automatic in with the 318. Keep the 318 stock, and keep the 7 1/4 and drive it like a normal car while you save up for fun parts. Once you have it ALL, blow it apart and change the attitude.

Sorry, I don’t mean to post all this in your wanted ad. I think you are better served not spending a dime on the 7 1/4. It’s hard to find gears(above 3.23) and the sure grips are like hens teeth, expect to pay $300+ just for that. At that point it cost the same to have the rear end setup(if you can’t DIY) so you might as well only pay once.

Thanks good info, that makes sense, I’m still new into mopars and gathering up more info, sounds like my time and $ is better spent tracking a stronger rear and working from there.

I appreciate the insight!

Another possibility for a rear swap is a 8 inch Ford. Depends on availability in your area. There are several different widths. You would have to do some measureing. A couple are almost a "bolt" in to a "A" body. The Ford guys ditch them for the 9 inch. I have one from a 1976 Comet. Bolts right onto the springs, and gives you 4 1/2 inch bolt pattern. Mopar e-brake cables for the Mopar vehicle work. Overall width is about 1 inch wider. Need to use a "conversion" u-joint or have a Ford yoke put on the Mopar drive shafe, and use a stock Ford U-joint. Mine is a 4.10 locker, and cost me less then a stock Mopar rear. The all new brakes (including drums) cost me the most.
PS: must use the V-8 Ford rear (5 lug bolt pattern). The six cyl rear was 4 lugs.

If you're determined to work on the 7 1/4, I have a set of 2.93 gears for one if that helps you any.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back