7 1/4 stock 400

-
Many 7.250s didn't tolerate stock slants. What's that tell you?

I see. Couldn't he just put some stronger Spider's in then?

What makes you think a company is out there making stronger spider gears for this rear ??? :banghead:

What makes you think a company is out there making stronger spider gears for this rear ??? :banghead:

LOL, I can see that as a honest question considering the aftermarket makes upgraded parts for just about everything else. But I'll have to say with a echoing and resounding reply of NO!

Step up to the 8-3/4 since a thrashing and abusive er, um, er, I mean spirited driving will be occurring with a 400 in a Duster.
A suregrip equipped 8-1/4 would be the min. if there is limited abuse.

LOL, I guess I deserved that. I did hear somewhere that Chrysler Started making them "stronger" for the newer Big bolt pattern cars. If(When) my 7 1/4 breaks, I'll put maybe a Mark Williams 11" in its' place.

Chrysler shoulda never made the 7 1/4 in the first place,it's waaaay too minimal even for chrysler..

Well... Plenty of 7 1/4 rears went for years & years behind stock engines. Yes they are inferior to 8.25 & 8.75 but they worked as daily drivers for the most part. I wish they never made them because then I'd have something better in my car.

as long as you don't rev and "hook" the tires it should roll ok with no abuse

The only good thing about a 7.25 is the newer ones with the big bolt pattern have the 10 x 2.5" brakes which work on a 8.75 with the right axles.

Back in the day I beat the snot out of a 63 Dart auto with a 7 1/4 for just over 50k miles with lots of neutral push button starts. At 50,060 miles with the push of the button say good by to the spider gears.

Gee, Chrysler wouldn't cover it under warranty because it was 60 miles out or was it that obvious it was abused.

I think if you don't shock load the 7 1/4 it will last with the 400 in a A body for a while.

BTW the Dart in my avatar has 124,000 miles on its 7 1/4 soon to be replaced with an 8 1/4 with large bolt pattern.

If you are running a stock smog 400 it should be fine for a little while. Your not running a 440-6 in there.
I seriously doubt it will blow up as soon as you put it into gear....
If you pound on it, then it will.

-
Back