7 1/4 sure-grip?

-

FURY440

Reaction score
Anyone know where to get parts for this rear? It's a 7 1/4 sure-grip. Also has anyone rebuilt this rear and is there any write ups on it. I believe the clutches need to be replaced. I haven't looked at it yet, but seems that's the issue. I have slipping going on and a what sounds like a metallic noise when I power brake it. Doesn't sound very good back there. :( Or the PO put in the wrong gear oil. I need to pull the cover and inspect it.
Thank you...

Hens teeth, but I do have a carrier section with the clutches and side gears.
You won't find spider gears or the cross pin for them.

Thank and I'll keep that in mind. First thing is to get the cover off and see what is going on. I'm also going to have my son (with a video camera) look under it while I power break it and record the drive shaft at the rear to see if it's slipping. I'll post the vid. If I take off with a light pedal there is no issue. Hard on the pedal and all kinds of bad noise coming from back there...not good..!

Where can I get the clutches from? Think local parts house can get them still? I'll have to call.

Last edited:
I'd change the fluid and add the proper limited slip additive first. It's a cheap and pretty easy first step. And drive it around awhile to allow the clutches to get nice and coated, and then see what happens. Plus if you change the fluid and see stuff falling out in it you'll know it really isn't happy.

Last edited:
I hear that about parts falling out,..LMAO. Yeah I plan on taking the cover off and see what's happening first.

OK,.here is a video of what I'm feeling and hearing. This is power braking it. Listen and watch the drive shaft.

The noise is not the rearend, if it is revving during that ringing groan/moan You've got trans issues Dude......................

Hmm,.strange because it shifts fine under normal conditions. It's only when I give it medium to hard throttle from a standing stop and only happens in first gear. Other than that the trans shifts fine and has passing gear with no slipping.

I don't know what's wrong, but I wouldn't do any powerbraking with ANY 7.25, even a new healthy one.

Tailshaft of trans splines messed up? Check driveshaft/trans splines first, otherwise sounds internal of trans:(

OK,.I'll do that. Thank you. I don't power brake ever. That was just for the video...

-
Back