7 1/4 to 8 3/4 swap question

-

my68barracuda

Reaction score
when I install the 8 3/4 into this 68 barracuda, will I need matching shock plates or will the original ones that were with the 7 1/4 work? any reason to upgrade these?
I'm believeing I will also need to pick up new u bolts,,, any thing else?

thanks

The shock plates are different between the 7 1/4 and the 8 3/4 due to the larger tube size of the 8 3/4. The holes for the u-bolts on the 7 1/4 shockplates will be closer together than the 8 3/4. There are 2 options, either find a set of shockplates from an 8 3/4 or hog out the boltholes on the 7 1/4 shockplates you have to accept the larger u-bolts. I personally would get the right shockplates, but either would work. Good luck on your project, Geof

Yup what he said. Doing the same thing myself. Got a new set of shock plates and U bolts and nuts.

when I install the 8 3/4 into this 68 barracuda, will I need matching shock plates or will the original ones that were with the 7 1/4 work? any reason to upgrade these?
I'm believeing I will also need to pick up new u bolts,,, any thing else?

thanks

Clips (u-bolts), shock plates, and a shortened driveshaft.

May also need some work to accomodate possible incompatibility of D/S u-joint to diff u-joint. Not sure here. Someone else chime in.

shock plates can be found in the U-pull it junk yards and U-bolts should be bought new from most auto parts stores or drive shaft shops all most always can make you a set when they shorten your drive shaft 2 1/4 inches, the difference between a 7 1/4 and an 8 3/4 is 2.26" measured from the center line of the rear axle to the center of the U-joint

So it sounds like I do not need to get 8 3/4 shock plates specific to an A body and that A B or C 8 3/4 shock plates will fit. Is that correct?

thanks

Espo sells everything you'll need we just did this swap on my buddys '70 dart last year..

So it sounds like I do not need to get 8 3/4 shock plates specific to an A body and that A B or C 8 3/4 shock plates will fit. Is that correct?

thanks

Any 8 3/4 or Dana will have them, but there is some small differences. They all will work though, Geof

-
Back