7 1/4 to 8 3/4

-

hwy2

Reaction score
So car came with a 7 1/4 and I put in a 8 3/4 got new shock plates for a 8 3/4. The best I can tell is with a 727 trans I need a 44.99” driveshaft. 48” is to long. Am I correct? Measurements are not including yokes

CRYSTAL BALL.jpg

IMG_2789.jpeg

Is this on a tractor? A Camaro? A Scamp?

So car came with a 7 1/4 and I put in a 8 3/4 got new shock plates for a 8 3/4. The best I can tell is with a 727 trans I need a 44.99” driveshaft. 48” is to long. Am I correct? Measurements are not including yokes

Notice the C dimensions.

IMG_5709.jpeg

I can’t determine which rear I have from this. My driveshaft needs to be 44” Thanks I can read this chart.

Talk to the people that are going to make your drive shaft, they will tell you what they want for info.

Not rocket science, body type, trans type, rear end type, u-joints used and look at a chart that has been in use since the 70's will give you everything you need, no need to reinvent the wheel everytime...

I think he's trying g to BUY the right shaft. You won't find one. Take your shaft to a driveshaft shop and have it made into what you can use.
(The chart says your shaft needs to be 2.25" shorter.)

As said above, look at column C. It shows axle centerline to yoke c3nterline, for both a 7 1/4, and an 8 3/4. 2.26, ten thousandths away from 2 1/4.
Plus, you may have to have the shaft modified to fit the u-joint required for the 8 3/4.
So, follow the advice others have given you, take your shaft to a driveshaft shop, and get it made right!

Last edited:
Talk to the people that are going to make your drive shaft, they will tell you what they want for info.
^^^ this. 100% this.

it seems like every shop has "their own way" and sometimes, if you're lucky, two guys at the same damn shop will each want it measured their own way.

Thanks all got it to shop they told me where to measure. Shop suggested to make a new one. Apparently he thought it was cut and welded before

My shop wanted to make a new shaft also, I more or less see why, I was okay with it.

That is for a 72 Duster/Demon with a 340 according to the chart I'm looking at...

Meaused and went to have it shortened and ended up with a new one.

-
Back