7.25 axle bearings

-

GimmeDanger

Reaction score
Hi, I have a 71 swinger 318, with a later model (I think) 7.25 rear, not sure what it is from but it had a 5x4.5 bolt pattern. It's starting to make a bit of noise and im getting some vibration. Trying to narrow down what is is, leaning towards axle bearings, I can wiggle the passenger side about a mm or so.
Either way I'm thinking of replacing them but I want to be certain of what bearings I need and how big of a job it is.
From what I've read here the bearings on later axles aren't pressed onto the shaft so doing it at home might be more feasible than an earlier one. I can say that the retainer has 5 bolts, so I think I'm right but want to be certain, my 70-76 manual doesn't mention any of this.

According to the 75 Manual there pressed on the 7 1/4 axles. There is a collar that has to be removed first and then bearing. They show special tools to press the brg back on. Just be prepared to have axle brg. pressed on before taking apart.

That's the possibility I was hoping to avoid, though I found a shop that could do it...but it would be the first time I brought a car to a shop to do anything lol

From what I've seen it looks like there are 2 types of axles, there are 2 types of bearings available on rock auto, the sealed type and what looks like a conical roller bearing for "9 or 10inch drums, front disc brakes"

The rear isn't from this car, may not even be from an a body, is there any way to tell from the outside what bearings it has?

From what I've read here the bearings on later axles aren't pressed onto the shaft so doing it at home might be more feasible than an earlier one. I can say that the retainer has 5 bolts, so I think I'm right but want to be certain, my 70-76 manual doesn't mention any of this.

The 7 1/4 bearing are pressed onto the shaft. If you have a 5 bolt retainer, you should have 10 brakes, and large bolt pattern. This will use the Timkin number RWC35YYR bearing.

The bearing "L & S AUTOMOTIVE PRODUCTS 6408" listed on Rockauto, is incorrect for any 7 1/4 rear. That is the correct "style" bearing for an 8 1/4.

Damn, rockauto is wrong? I don't even know what's what anymore! Thanks, but now I doubt the info they have for the axle seal that is correct, any idea on that?
I'm kind of doubtful on the shop near me even though they have a 72 dart out front, he said 2 hours to do it if I bring the parts but what are the chances he'll have a tool to press them on right?

I have taken a bunch apart always had a sealed bearing, not a hard job to do at home just the off and on with the bearing is a PIA if you do not have a press, take them out and bring them to a shop that has a press and have them remove and install them prob $20 or so with the parts.

Oh yeah, pulling the axles looks easy, but I don't have a press.

A little background, I'm in nyc, so all I have is a wide sidewalk as a workspace. I did the rear springs recently so I have a good setup to do stuff like that, I just can't leave it apart overnight.

Who knows, maybe when I change the ujoints the noise will go away, I get a vibration in the tunnel that is in time with the sound.
Gonna do those soon, I had a lesson in high school when my friend's Aspen spit out its driveshaft and he got a ticket for it!

A ticket that sucks. I am from Long Island originally so I believe it. Talk to a local machine shop they should have a press to do it. Just set it up all in that day, they are easy to pull and reinstall.

Coming from Queens myself, once you take out the axles you won't have to worry about your car being stolen. My 68 Roadrunner, 72 Duster, and in Bklyn. 80 Honda Civic twice, were all stolen, fortunately I got them all back with a lot of damage. This is why I'm in Northport with a 3 car garage.

Ha yeah, it was in Brentwood, gave us a ticket and left us to push it to the side of the road.
I looked on northern auto, a 73 dart comes up with that bearing, and I would assume the seal to match

Coming from Queens myself, once you take out the axles you won't have to worry about your car being stolen. My 68 Roadrunner, 72 Duster, and in Bklyn. 80 Honda Civic twice, were all stolen, fortunately I got them all back with a lot of damage. This is why I'm in Northport with a 3 car garage.

Ha, I moved from Northport to Queens...and then got the car!

I grew up in Valley Stream then after I moved around (military) ended up in Patchouge, really liked being back on the island but just could not afford the taxes. Miss the food for sure.

Damn, rockauto is wrong? I don't even know what's what anymore! Thanks, but now I doubt the info they have for the axle seal that is correct, any idea on that?
I'm kind of doubtful on the shop near me even though they have a 72 dart out front, he said 2 hours to do it if I bring the parts but what are the chances he'll have a tool to press them on right?

Seal is 8660S or WS8660S

PS: I double checked all numbers and fit. I have these parts in stock for a rear I am building. A big bolt pattern 10 brake, 7 1/4 rear with 5.13 gears and sure grip.

Seal is 8660S or WS8660S

PS: I double checked all numbers and fit. I have these parts in stock for a rear I am building. A big bolt pattern 10 brake, 7 1/4 rear with 5.13 gears and sure grip.

Thanks! That's the seal they had paired with the timken bearing

-
Back