7.25 axle tube thickness

-

SIX225

Reaction score
I picked up a BBP 7.25 for when I do my disc brake conversion. I didn't notice that spring seat was full of mud when I bought it. After digging the mud out, I found the tube pretty rusty and pitted under the spring seat. How thick are the tubes? Considering having the seat taken off and welding it up, but concerned about warpage. Doesn't appear to be leaking. I'd take some pics, put really can't see in there.

Clean up the rusted area with a wire brush or by soaking - submerging each end in Evaporust so you can get a better inspection. I would doubt if rust would perforate the tube wall.
To really check it there is an inspection process called ‘dye penetrant’. Where you spray a dye inside the tube in the area of the mount and spray the developer on the outside. If there is a leak path the dye from the inside will show on the developer on the outside. You can buy kits on e bay. Probably how to videos on you tube.

Remove the breather vent bolt . Measure the depth. Then the od of the tube, the difference will be the tube thickness

Rusting through happens more often than you'd imagine. Especially on trucks that people put salt throwers on with their plows. But they're right around 3/16-1/4 inch thick.

-
Back