7.25 Changing axle tube bearings - in place?

-

GoldSwinger71

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have a 7.25 rear end and plan to replace the axle bearings. I see lots of references to pressing the bearings in. Is there any way for the average shadetree mechanic to change them out without

1) Taking the axle assembly out of the car
2) Using a special tool

I watched a video of someone doing a "restoration" of the 7.25 rear axle, and they used some kind of slide hammer tool to remove the bearing, but that scene cut to the bearing magically out.

Thanks!

-Daniel

I would bring the axles and new bearings to a machine shop and have them do it.

It can be done at home but you will need a press and some special adapters

Go to MyMopar.com and download your factory service manual.

Procedure is in there.

Can't say I have ever seen a rear axel bearings pressed into the axel housing

Are the bearings attached to the axles? I thought there was one pressed into the tube itself.

The bearing and bearing collar are pressed onto the axle shaft. The outer race is a slip fit into the axle housing. Pry out and change the axle bearing seals. The axle ball bearings are sealed for lifetime use. An automotive shop should have the correct tools to pull the bearings off.

I've got a 7.25" apart right now.

The slide hammer is useful for pulling the axle in the event the shaft bearing has rusted to the inside of the axle tube. You can also use it to easily remove the old seals which is what you saw in the video. If you rent a hammer you usually have to rent the attachments individually.

I pressed the new seals in using a 1.5" rigid conduit coupling screwed on to a short nipple and 1.5" black iron cap. Couple whacks with a mallet and the seals are in.

I actually have four axle shafts w/ bearings to choose from, I'm going to repack the bearings as much as I can, roll the dice and slide them back in. Let us know how replacing them goes.

rear axle excerpt 1.jpg

rear axle excerpt 2.jpg

Thanks everyone for all the info! I'll be digging into this in the next week (taking a week off of work to give the old gal some love!)

-
Back