'70 Dart 392 Project; what direction?

-
found it
img_0619-text-jpg.jpg

Is that a 5.7?
My 6.4BGE had a big support plate at the back that protrudes farther out than your oil pan. I can mill it for clearance… probably going to pull it off and see if the starter fits and then go from there.
Still working today so don’t have much time to investigate further….
Here’s a picture of mine:

3F8911B9-55B6-4CC0-8E7E-2C8C6B414278.jpeg

Mancini has a starter that looks like it might work - MREBU61R274

Mancini Racing Extreme Chrysler Mini Starter

Weird thing is, that's a similar part number to the Bouchillion offering and their picture shows a threaded hole in the starter. Maybe call one of them and verify?

Dang it I just ordered some parts from Mancini too lol that does look like an ideal fit!! Might give it a go…

Brought my hurst shifter and bag of replacement goodies from Brewers home this evening.
I wirewheeled the housing and gates at the shop before leaving.
I also drilled the housing and welded the 3/8:24 nut to the housing with the bolt through the hole.
Also got lucky and brewers had a used/replated receiver. It matches my broken “bayonet style) receiver style but isn’t missing half of itself :)

I bought the replacement cover with threaded hole to replace my factory one. Feels buttery smooth at this point but may take it apart again to drill the gates for hardened steel bushings and to cerakote the whole shebang a high gloss black to help keep it slick.

E07E0FA8-8167-46A4-86A7-E0B75EA1EFD6.jpeg

813889DB-AC8C-43F9-978D-F022B635BEDF.jpeg

69FFB594-4EE3-40B0-A4F8-51347CDFCB0B.jpeg

70E1FF72-C475-4C83-B399-70AD79A6C755.jpeg

61E1594C-0E1D-43F2-BBAA-217037FDE940.jpeg

Not sure if this is any help but for my 6.1 with TTi headers and 8HP70 the same starter for the 6.1 with Nag1 and also the same as 6.4 with 8HP70. Driver's side no clearance issues.
MP PN 05035102AB 05035102AB New MOPAR Denso Starter 2013-2020 Challenger Charger 6.4L Hemi V8 SRT | eBay

View attachment 1716051707

View attachment 1716051708

appreciate the info! I wonder if that will clock over to the drivers side without issue.
Does anyone know if the 833 bellhousing is the same as the 727 as far as starter location/clocking? It’s weird that the Mancini linked mini starter only lists fitting automatic transmissions.

Mike

As far as I know most Chrysler starters are interchangeable from slant 6 to 440 the bell housing makes the difference with flywheel size. I used the starter for 96 Dakota 5.2 on my 340 with a Lakewood bellhousing and 5.7 Hemi with same bellhousing

appreciate the info! I wonder if that will clock over to the drivers side without issue.
Does anyone know if the 833 bellhousing is the same as the 727 as far as starter location/clocking? It’s weird that the Mancini linked mini starter only lists fitting automatic transmissions.

Mike
I had a 727 before the 8HP with just a standard Mopar Mini starter on the driver's side. It worked fine.
I know, still not the combo you are looking for...

Is that a 5.7?
My 6.4BGE had a big support plate at the back that protrudes farther out than your oil pan. I can mill it for clearance… probably going to pull it off and see if the starter fits and then go from there.
Still working today so don’t have much time to investigate further….
Here’s a picture of mine:

View attachment 1716051603
It’s the 6.1

Mancini has a starter that looks like it might work - MREBU61R274

Mancini Racing Extreme Chrysler Mini Starter

Weird thing is, that's a similar part number to the Bouchillion offering and their picture shows a threaded hole in the starter. Maybe call one of them and verify?
This is obviously from a production car- just need to figure out which one. I hate to purchase something like this that I can't get at a local parts store.

This is obviously from a production car- just need to figure out which one. I hate to purchase something like this that I can't get at a local parts store.

Good point. Comparing pictures makes me think it is the one @208Dart already bought for the later ram with a manual trans.

Good point. Comparing pictures makes me think it is the one @208Dart already bought for the later ram with a manual trans.
I did a quick search on rock auto. The 2008, Ram 2500, manual trans starter looks really close to the Mancini starter. Mopar part number 56029274AA. It may be the same for other years, but I didn't compare. I just randomly selected 2008. RA has them for cheap, local stores have them for half the price of Mancini.

Find it on Amazon Prime with Free Returns... if it fits, great, if not, send it back and order the next likely suspect.
I always look for "Free Returns" when buying anything off Amazon

I did a quick search on rock auto. The 2008, Ram 2500, manual trans starter looks really close to the Mancini starter. Mopar part number 56029274AA. It may be the same for other years, but I didn't compare. I just randomly selected 2008. RA has them for cheap, local stores have them for half the price of Mancini.

That's the same part number TTI says fits without clearance issues. And (I think) the one the OP already bought and says it doesn't fit.

But there are several headers that TTI recommends, so maybe I am looking at the wrong notes. I looked at the 61HCA-R2 headers, maybe he has a different set.

Find it on Amazon Prime with Free Returns... if it fits, great, if not, send it back and order the next likely suspect.
I always look for "Free Returns" when buying anything off Amazon
I joke all the time calling it Amazon Auto Parts...

So here's the starter I ordered through partsgeek, PN: 17932N. https://www.partsgeek.com/ss/?i=1&ssq=17932N
The mopar PN @racerjoe referenced looks identical to the mancini one for sure. I'm wondering if the brace that bolts below the oilpan on the 6.4BGE is whats causing the issue. I have returned both the Partsgeek starter, and the autozone starter and ordered the Mancini one which already shipped out to me today. Hopefully I don't have to return it as well. If I do, I'll attempt the mopar one referenced above and if needed clearance the block and the brace. Hoping to avoid removing the headers as I installed them with a high temp RTV already per TTI's instructions and I also don't want to have to do touch up paint on the block. Oh well! Keep ya'll posted for sure.

Mike

I had to go back and see what pan the OP is using. It appears the Holley pan utilizes those big bosses on the side of the block where the extra engine to trans bracket would locate. I'm guessing you'll find nothing that is a true bolt on because of that. I use the Milodon pans. You have to grind those big bosses down(as pictured in an earlier post) to get a mini style starter to fit.

I had to go back and see what pan the OP is using. It appears the Holley pan utilizes those big bosses on the side of the block where the extra engine to trans bracket would locate. I'm guessing you'll find nothing that is a true bolt on because of that. I use the Milodon pans. You have to grind those big bosses down(as pictured in an earlier post) to get a mini style starter to fit.

It isn't the pan that is bolted to those 2 outer bolts. He must have the trans brace and it bolts around the pan to those 2 bolts (on both sides) and then to the bottom of the bellhousing.

I have the same pan and it doesn't use those bolts. Same as your Milodon pan, just in aluminum.

Guessing he will have to lose the brace, but time will tell.

It isn't the pan that is bolted to those 2 outer bolts. He must have the trans brace and it bolts around the pan to those 2 bolts (on both sides) and then to the bottom of the bellhousing.

I have the same pan and it doesn't use those bolts. Same as your Milodon pan, just in aluminum.

Guessing he will have to lose the brace, but time will tell.
Ok. Didn't catch that. Looked at it rather quickly. I thought that the Holley pans were "normal".

@DionR is corrrect! It's a block/transmission brace that came from the factory. If anything I will machine it down, but it will stay in some form or another :)

I will keep ya'll posted for sure, might be able to work on it a bit this coming weekend. Work is becoming fairly hectic right now. Need to focus on my mini-tub/sub frame connectors so I can get my rearend built.

Mike

No worries. If you just gotta have that thing on there, go for it I guess. They had it on there because of the massive transmissions hanging behind them. Look at the LA small blocks. The auto trans cars had those strut supports on each side, the manuals did not. Just trying to make your life easy......

So here's the starter I ordered through partsgeek, PN: 17932N. https://www.partsgeek.com/ss/?i=1&ssq=17932N
The mopar PN @racerjoe referenced looks identical to the mancini one for sure. I'm wondering if the brace that bolts below the oilpan on the 6.4BGE is whats causing the issue. I have returned both the Partsgeek starter, and the autozone starter and ordered the Mancini one which already shipped out to me today. Hopefully I don't have to return it as well. If I do, I'll attempt the mopar one referenced above and if needed clearance the block and the brace. Hoping to avoid removing the headers as I installed them with a high temp RTV already per TTI's instructions and I also don't want to have to do touch up paint on the block. Oh well! Keep ya'll posted for sure.

Mike
The Mancini starter fit very well for me and gives lots of clearance for TTI. I did have to trim the block as others have said

-
Back