70 Dart Butt Stripes

-

str12-340

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Just saw an article in the new Mopar Action about a guy's restoration of a red 70 Dart Swinger 340. In an article side bar it mentions why this guy's car has the butt stripe cut off at the edge of the rear Valance panel and shows pictures of the Red 340 Dart in the 1970 advertisements with the stripe cut off like that. Knowing how things change between the marketing Dept. getting photos months before release, I sent Ehrenburg pictures from a Dodge marketing package that I purchased many years ago - typed press release and black and white photos - that shows not one, but two 340 Darts with the stripe wrapped all the way around the valance. Too bad it was too much of a pain for production because it looks way cool. I thought I would share those pics and the actual factory assembly manual page that shows the stripe coming down to the wrap of the Valance and instructing a razor cut at the joint.

press release Dart stripes 2.jpeg

press release Dart stripes 1.jpeg

assembly manual Dart stripes.jpeg

Yep, always thought the stripe should go all the way around. Probably bean counters helped to kill it after the production issues were uncovered...

I might even get some 3M material and see if I can make a piece to go across the valance. On my white car extending the black stripe would make it a lot easier to hide the carbon from the exhaust!

I owned many 70 340 Swingers over the years. I had one bought from the original owner. It was Dark green and had the white stripe continued on the valance, He said it was bought that way new. Some had the stripe and some didn't . Could have been a dealer add on. But it definitely was a decal. I took the stripe off to paint the car black.

062.jpg

063.jpg

064.jpg

I might even get some 3M material and see if I can make a piece to go across the valance. On my white car extending the black stripe would make it a lot easier to hide the carbon from the exhaust!

I wouldn't recommend that.

The heat from the exhaust will likely make you regret that. Paint it if you do anything.

-
Back