70' Dart - Drum to Disc

-

440nika

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
I got a few questions about my 70' Dart Swinger. It was a 318 car but now with the 440 I need a little more stopping power. I had it out today on the bypass and when I touched the brakes at over a 100 mph it was like there was nothing there at all!!!!!! That will not happen again!!!!!!

1. What do I need from start to finish to convert from drum to disc as far as parts?
2. What is the difference between manual disc and power disc and which is better?
3. Should I buy new or is there enough older stuff available out there?
4. Is it a hard conversion or can it be done in my garage on a weekend?
5. What year and make cars will fit my 70' Dart for brake parts?
6. What should I expect to be a fair price for all the parts I need for the conversion?
7. Will the front be enough or should I go with 4 wheel disc?

8. Does anyone out there have what I need and if so how much to Irwin Pa. 15642?

I know this is a lot of questions but I'd rather ask now than do it twice later. Thanks Dave

Hey Guys,
I got a few questions about my 70' Dart Swinger. It was a 318 car but now with the 440 I need a little more stopping power. I had it out today on the bypass and when I touched the brakes at over a 100 mph it was like there was nothing there at all!!!!!! That will not happen again!!!!!!

1. What do I need from start to finish to convert from drum to disc as far as parts?
2. What is the difference between manual disc and power disc and which is better?
3. Should I buy new or is there enough older stuff available out there?
4. Is it a hard conversion or can it be done in my garage on a weekend?
5. What year and make cars will fit my 70' Dart for brake parts?
6. What should I expect to be a fair price for all the parts I need for the conversion?
7. Will the front be enough or should I go with 4 wheel disc?

8. Does anyone out there have what I need and if so how much to Irwin Pa. 15642?

I know this is a lot of questions but I'd rather ask now than do it twice later. Thanks Dave

Hello. Disc brakes are a very good thing to have. You can find Large Bolt Pattern disc brakes from any '73-'76 A-body car. You will need the spindles, calipers, rotors, caliper brackets, disc brake master cylinder, and proportioning valve.

The only difference between power brakes and manual brakes is pedal effort, it doesn't slow you down any faster or slower if you have power or manual, so it is a personal preference, and for me, I like the feel of manual disc brakes, and you will also have more room in the engine compartment for that 440 if you have manual brakes.

There are some deals out there to buy all used stuff and rebuild it all, but for a couple hundred bucks more, I like to have everything all brand new, so for me, I'd get new stuff, if you have the money.

The conversion is not hard to do, I did it on my 68 Barracuda, it's pretty easy and straight forward. Get a rebuild manual for your car, it will help.

Right now someone on the forums has a disc brake setup off an A-body for sale for around 300 bucks, which is a good price, I've seen factory stuff sale for around 400-450 for everything. There are a couple companies selling complete kits with everything new for around 700-1,000 dollars.

Some people may argue to go with all wheel disc brakes, but it isn't totally necessary because the fronts do most of the braking anyways, and there isn't much to gain by going with rear disc.

Also, right now your car is equipped with the small bolt pattern, which is 5 on 4" bolt circle. When you upgrade to disc brakes, you also upgrade to the large bolt pattern which is 5 on 4.5". So you will no longer be able to use the wheels you have now. A good upgrade for the rear is to get an 8 3/4 from a B-body and swap it in your car, which has the large bolt pattern, and also larger rear drum brakes. You will have to move the spring perches in 1/2" on each side if you choose to go that route...You could also buy aftermarket axle shafts for your axle....

Thanks for all the info. I'd like to stay with the 4" bolt pattern (SBP) if possible to save cost on buying new rims and such. Do they sell or is there any cars with 4" bolt pattern disc brakes and if so what year and make do I need to find? I would definately consider buying new also if they would be the small bolt pattern and a bolt on application. I agree I'd like to stay away from putting disc on the rear if possible but I didn't know for sure. Let me know guys whats out there.
Thanks Dave

The 67-72 A-body cars did come with small bolt pattern disc brakes, the brand was Kelsey Hayes, but was a pretty rare factory option. I do not know a whole lot about these disc brake kits and the availability of parts. I think parts are hard to come by. Maybe someone with more information will chime in.

Right now someone on the site is selling a SBP Kelsey Hayes disc setup:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=102107

-
Back