'70 Dart from Canada

-

ronald55555

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm a new member from Canada. Just picked up my first dart(first domestic as a matter of fact) a couple of months ago. I've been looking for a 70/71 dart for several years, and finally found the one. I definitely paid a premium considering it's a slant 6 904 car, but it was worth it given the condition. I've just started doing some work on it, and figured I should start posting after months of lurking. I'm sure I'll have tons of questions as I progress trying to familiarize myself with this thing. Long term plan is to build it for autox and road racing. For now I just want to have it looking and running decent to use as a summer daily driver, since I have another project car that's a higher priority right now. On to the pictures.

IMGP2942.jpg

IMGP2944.jpg

IMGP2946.jpg

IMGP2963.jpg

IMGP2964.jpg

Doing the headliner this weekend. Striped down some of the interior and removed the headliner.

IMGP2976.jpg

IMGP2975.jpg

IMGP2984.jpg

IMGP2985.jpg

IMGP2986.jpg

Looks like a good base to start from. Is the car originally from Washington state? If so, where? I used to see a lot of rust free cars down there when i used to go race my car in Spokane.
Oh, BTW, welcome to FABO!

Thanks for the warm welcomes. The car was originally a california car, which is why it's in such good shape. It went up to Washington in the late '90s. Judging from the service records I have, it was driven semi-regularly since then.

Did a bit more work on it, POR15 the roof, took out the steering column and dash to be painted black. Luckily the windshield is already out when I bought the car. Just for future reference, is it possible to remove the dash with the windshield in? It looks like there would be very little clearance for the 5 bolts on top. I've never looked at it with the windows in before, so I have no idea what it looks like.

IMGP2988.jpg

IMGP2989.jpg

IMGP2995.jpg

IMGP2996.jpg

Made a little more progress today, getting the dash ready for paint. Broke the plastic trim on the glovebox door around the latch, anyone know where to buy a new one?

IMGP2999.jpg

IMGP3000.jpg

IMGP3002.jpg

IMGP3004.jpg

IMGP3006.jpg

IMGP3008.jpg

I'm impressed, you really know what you're doing. Can you explain what you did with your dashpad?

It looks like he capped it and then zip-tied it until the silicone dried. The whole dash turned out great. Nice work!

Yes, 70GT is correct. I can't afford a new dash pad at the moment so I just capped it. The cap doesnt fit very well and doesnt quite wrap over the original pad completely. I dyed the edge of the original pad black so if any edges shows it's not as obvious. I just cant imagine anyone installing one of those things tightly around the pad without taking it off the car, must be a pita.

I'm going to keep the /6 in there for maybe another year until I finish my other project car (honda civic). Eventually it will have a 340, 4 speed, and 8.25 or 8.75 rear end. An EFI conversion would be nice too since I'm more used to tuning newer cars and know pretty much nothing about tuning carbs. I will probably put all that on at the same time, so I have some saving up and parts collecting to do.

The wheels are 15x7 4.25 BS, which from searching around on the forum seem to centre the tire in the well without a mini tub and spring relocation. The tires are only 225/50-15. It's pushed out because I'm using a sbp to bbp adapter, which is 1" thick. Not an ideal solution for converting to big bolt patter, I know. This all started when I ordered the Wilwood front brake kit, which is bbp, so I had to get new wheels. I didn't want to get sbp rear wheels since I'm eventually going to swap the rear end. I figured it'll be easier and cheaper to just ditch the adapters once I get the new rear end than to have to get new wheels again.

-
Back