'70 Dart Speedo cable disconnect from cluster?

-

Robj

Reaction score
Can you please tell me how to actually disconnect the cable from the back of the speedometer?

I can get my hand up in there but can't actually see what holds it to the back of it. Factory manual doesn't seem to mention it either. It's awfully tight between the two structure pieces in the center of the dash there. Wishing my hands were a little smaller.

I'm not 100% sure it's like mine, I have a 74. Here is a pic of the gauge end. You have to squeeze the clip to open it away from a ring in the back.

I hope that makes sense.

Attachments

• IS-663 Speedometer Cable.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 503
Yeah that's what it is. I just now came from a different angle and could feel it. It's like on my 74 B-body. The problem is I can get it pushed I think but then my arm is simply at an angle with no leverage or room to pull it out the back. It's right betwwen those two supports

It is hard to get at. Do you have the cluster unscrewed? If not, unscrew it, and if I remember right, you have to sort of pull it upward a little as you tilt it out, for the bottom ridge to clear the dash frame, but then you should be able to pull it out toward the steering wheel. Even an inch or so will help give you clearance. Then, if you're not actually removing the cluster, you can just put it back when you're done.

If you already do have the cluster pulled out, then yeah, it's tight, might need to get smaller hands to make it easier!

Thanks- came back at it from the original angle and pinched it between my index and middle finger and it came right off. The graphic helps me visualize what it looked like again.

Yeah that's what it is. I just now came from a different angle and could feel it. It's like on my 74 B-body. The problem is I can get it pushed I think but then my arm is simply at an angle with no leverage or room to pull it out the back. It's right betwwen those two supports

When I did mine I reached it from the left side of that support, it's tight but doable.

It is hard to get at. Do you have the cluster unscrewed? If not, unscrew it, and if I remember right, you have to sort of pull it upward a little as you tilt it out, for the bottom ridge to clear the dash frame, but then you should be able to pull it out toward the steering wheel. Even an inch or so will help give you clearance. Then, if you're not actually removing the cluster, you can just put it back when you're done.

If you already do have the cluster pulled out, then yeah, it's tight, might need to get smaller hands to make it easier!
you should be able to pull it out enough to unhook it after you take the screws out good luck

I've got the steering wheel lowered as low as it will go. All the bolts are out including the ones at the firewall. I've got the cluster 3/4 or better out but just can't get that last little bit. It rolls forward but I just need another few inches of wheel drop to get it to roll the rest of the way. The top back edge won't clear the front of the opening. The hump for the shift indicator blocks the front lip from rolling enough.

HELP. I'm doing this same job tomorrow. Did you get the cluster out? If so, how. The responder said you must twist the panel UP as you pull it out. Maybe you have a wire holding it????? I dont need or want to remove mine completely in the 72 Duster, just pull it out enough to see the speedo cable and figure out why its not engaging or clicking into the back of the gauge. The clip is still on my cable, but the cable itself may be broken.

You need to take the bolts out at the bottom of the dash that holds the steering column. It also helps to loosen the 4 bolts on the plate where it goes through the floor. Then the column will drop down enough to allow you to get the cluster out.

Yeah I got it out and it's back together on the road. If you just want to roll it forward without taking it out it's not a bad job. If you are taking it all the way out it's a little more involved like Bad sport says. It's easier if it's a floor shift car too. The speedo cable just takes patience to disconnect. You will need to try different angles from either side of the column until you find the just the right spot and angle to get your hand up in there to unclip it. Then you can push the cable back and out of the speedo. The cluster has to roll forward from the top to come out. My problem was that it hung up on the gear indicator hump. I had the floor plate with two bolts loosened up and once I undid the plate to the firewall with three bolts, I was finally able to move and rotate the column around enough to roll the cluster forward and out. If you go this far be sure to tape up the column housing so that you don't scratch and mar the paint.

Also another huge tip. If you're going to spend any time at all under the dash, remove the four nuts on the front seat and get it out the way. Takes two minutes and you will thank yourself. I have a thick foam pad I use to level out the floor and could easily nap under there. You will have much better access to difficult angles and you will also be able to see better.

Hey George I went back and looked at my photos and remembered that it's good to remove the headlight switch knob by pushing the button on the housing under the dash and then pulling the knob and shaft out and remove the wiper switch too unless yours are located up in the cluster. On the '70 the cluster contacted them when it was rolled forward.

The cluster rolls forward because the speedo mechanism forming the hump on the bottom has to come up and out.

View attachment DSC_0115em.jpg

Here's what your looking at once the cluster is out. The wrapped bundle of wires may be attached to the rear of the cluster by a plastic piece. Again with the seat out you can see much better up in there.

View attachment DSC_0334em.jpg

But it's so fun laying on the seat with your feet up over the back of it and shoulders on the floorboard. :)

-
Back