70 Duster entire Dashboard removal

-

Izzonyg

Reaction score
What is the most efficient / recommended way to remove the entire dash from my 70 Duster. I'm getting the body ready for sand blast and prime. Have all seats removed, headliner is out, and rubber flooring removed. (Surprisingly the floors were in halfway decent shape, but will be looking for recomendations on where to purchse good quality replacement floor sections.) Doors are also off with door pannels removed. Now ready to tackle the dash but want to proceed correctly and not create extra work both now and in the future when I go to re-install. Apprecaite any and all guidance and advice. Thank you.

5 bolts holding the top of the dash to the cowl are underneath the front window gasket.
1 bolt at left and right kick panels. The dash can be rotated on those 2 bolts after the steering column is lowered or removed.

Windshield needs to come out, there is a write up around here from a guy who used a different clip so he could access from the inside.

I figured the windshield had to come out first. Thank you for providing the clarification as I was not 100% sure and thought there may have been another way to get at the 5 bolts into the cowl. Should I attempt to take the glass out myself or get a glass man to remove. Glass best I can tell in this car is all original.

Take the glass out yourself and crack it doing so. In the end you will realize that was a hidden blessing.

It "CAN" be done with out removing the windshield "IF" you had to, but seeing as you need the windshield out its a simple job. Just be careful everything is disconnected, the wires are brittle sometimes and a lot of the connectors plug into plastic and what not behind the dash easy to break stuff if your in a hurry. BEEN THERE ;)

I figured the windshield had to come out first. Thank you for providing the clarification as I was not 100% sure and thought there may have been another way to get at the 5 bolts into the cowl. Should I attempt to take the glass out myself or get a glass man to remove. Glass best I can tell in this car is all original.

I have removed 2 windshields by my self in the past, the two windshields little did I know must have been factory originals seeing as they were only held in with the gasket, On the third I tried, my moms duster it had added sealant I did not notice and when I tried to repeat the process I broke it all to ****.... :banghead: That's what extras are for right?

-
Back