70 Duster ignition issue

-

41husk

Reaction score
Ok, my 70 Duster was running fine. Had her out for a drive with no issues. I returned her to the garage and the next day she wouldn't run, started right up but as soon as you let go of the key it dies. If you hold the key in the on position it will continue to run until you let go of the key. First I changed the ballast resitor and had the same issue. Next I changed the starter relay and same issue. So, I pulled the steering wheel, took apart the column and changed the ignition switch. When that did not solve my issue, I changed the key and tumbler. I have no idea what to try next, please help!

When you say "holding the key in the on position" do you really mean start?
First thing I'd check is whether there's voltage at the ballast with the key in "on" (not "start") (check both sides of the ballast...if you have 12v on the ignition side but not the coil side you may have put in a bad one). If there's no voltage start tracing back to the ignition switch. Could be bad connection thru the bulkhead, could be bad connection at the switch.

^^THIS ^^ is why you should learn to troubleshoot instead of throwing parts at a problem. A simple test with a meter at the ignition switch connector, at the bulkhead, and at the coil+ would have told you whether you have CRANKING voltage at the coil or not

Ignition RUN goes "dead" at the key when cranking. The only power for the ignition is the "bypass" circuit known also as "IGN2."

Go to MyMopar download a wiring diagram and a factory shop manual.

Sometimes working alone it is difficult to check voltage at all the different and important spots. So with a HF free multimeter and a set of alligator clips I can accomplish voltage checks alone. I put meter between hood and windshield to see readings.

Sometimes working alone it is difficult to check voltage at all the different and important spots. So with a HF free multimeter and a set of alligator clips I can accomplish voltage checks alone. I put meter between hood and windshield to see readings.
thanks!

-
Back