'70 Duster...not mine, need feedback

-
If I had to start over again, knowing how much I had to put into it to get my car as far as I have, and how much I still have to do, $9k for a car with an already decent paint job, and an engine that was satisfactory would be pretty good with me.

Things to check

The k-frame. Is it wallowed out where the upper control arm spindle goes into the k-frame. Does it hold an alignment well? If it has alignment issues, this may be the reason. Mine was totally destroyed, meaning I had to replace the k-frame.

Front floor pans. Any rust or damage to the front floor pans are a sign of bad windshield or wiper arm leaks, probably requiring a dash teardown. Take it to a car wash and check for leaks.

What rear end does it have? Hopefully not a 7.25

As with any car, the front suspension is a bear to work on. How do the bushings and joints look?

You should be able to verify all of this with a once-over and a test drive.

What eng, What trans, are the rear quarters rust free or did the bondo them. Put your hands down into the rear quarter extension holes and make sure there are no holes or bondo poking through. What shape is interior in. A descent stock motor and all else in good shape, this is a good deal. Any thing above this is a bonus. Anything needing attention is a subtraction.

It has Kelsey-Hayes disc brakes on the front and the wheels are small bolt pattern. The 340 exhaust tips are missing. That's about all I can tell from those pics. You really need to see the car in person. Bring a magnet so you can check for Bondo, shiny new paint can hide some real horrors. Check the VIN and make sure it's a real 340 car. 5th digit should be an H. If it ain't, the price goes down. Look underneath for the usual rusty places and/or botched repairs, and you should also see an 8 3/4" rear end. Anything else and the price goes down. Interior in good shape? Rallye instruments there and all gauges work? Underdash wiring in good shape or has it been hacked into oblivion? Both vent doors there and functioning? I would knock at least 4K off the asking price and go from there. Having said all that, it's still a Duster. IMO they were the ugliest car Ma Mopar ever foisted on the buying public, including Toads...

He sure likes wire ties, looking at the engine compartment. Poor hood alignment. Sticking up in back. When I see painted bumpers, I think what else has he cheaped out on. I'm not saying to pass on the car . look at the previous posts and give it a look. Get interior and rear end pics. See if it has an 8 3/4 rear. It's expensive to find and install one.

Previous posts are spot on...except for the ugliest car ever made...come'on...the Duster Rocks!!! I just got my 71 340 Duster back on the road and Haggerty listed 8K as a driver, 12K good and 17K excellent condition. Hard to say without looking at the car, and determining if a cheap paint job is covering up a nightmare...the black bumpers make me suspect too...but if you and someone else does go check it out pay particular attention to items mentioned in the previous posts. In addition, check there's no electrical gremlins by checking all the switches, lights, motors (heater box, windshield wipers). Check the gauges while moving the light switch, etc. (can be ground/electrical issues) I like checking right before dusk as my eyes miss things in the bright sunlight. I can then drive it during daylight still, then talk to the owner and check out the interior lighting while it's getting dark.
Also check the trunk for rust. Good luck. If it all checks out good and run wells it's worth the money.

I totally agree with furyus2.......what else did he cheap out on?????

Attachments

• demon5.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 91
Here's what I don't get. Why would you take a picture of a picture on your computer screen and then upload it to the computer and on to the internet? The picture is already on the computer, just upload it! :violent1:

Well I appreciate ALL the comments on the car as to what to look for. Unfortunately he sold the car last week and didnt take the ad down, hate when people do that, but you guys have given me a great note book as to what to look for on the next one.
Im waiting to hear back from a guy who has a '74 Scamp "in a box" shall we say. If the price is rite I may have a winter project!

-
Back