70 Duster Pwr Steering

-

duster318

Reaction score
I need a steering column for a 1970 Duster equipped with power steering. Does anyone have any idea to find one, or would anyone recomend I modify the standard I have found, cut and weld to fit.

Also any idea the best way to remove the front windshield. Someone put a high power BB or a .22 cal hole in mine. I dont' want to have broken glass all over the place.

thanks in advance.

sm

I've removed several front windshields on dusters. Depending on what I'm doing there are different methods. The hard part is the complex rubber molding that holds them in.

If I need to keep the rubber piece that retains the windshield then it is much harder. This is the method you probably have to use, unless you have a spare molding.

First carefully remove any trim from around the rubber molding. Be careful not to bend the trim.

Once the trim is off you can see the molding. There is a rubber rope that is packed in a channel on the molding. It goes on the sides and top of the molding. You have to pull that out, try not to stretch it to much as you need to reuse it. If it stretches too much you may have to cut some off when you replace it.

There is a rubber flap along the bottom of the molding that retains the bottom. It looks kind of like a seam if you don't know what it is. Carefully work it out of its channel. This frees up the bottom.

Now you have made the molding so it will allow the windshield out, but there is usually some sticky stuff in there. A hot day in the sun helps soften the molding and the adhesive.

Carefully loosen the molding from the windshield by pulling the outside flap away from the glass. You will probably need some tools to do this. I've used everything from gasket scrapers to butter knives to get it started. Just be careful. You may want to use some soapy water, to help keep it from sticking back up. You’re basically stretching the old rubber, and breaking the bond to help it come out.

Once you have loosened the molding from the outside of the glass start at an upper corner and push from the inside while working the outside of the molding out. Be careful don't cut yourself or break the glass any worse than it already is. Work out from the corner down the sides and along the top. You may want to work the other corner at some point. Once most of the top and sides are out you just free it from the bottom.

THE DESTRUCTIVE METHOD or SALVAGE METHOD.

THIS DESTROYS THE MOLDING.

If you have a spare rubber molding for your car you can easily have the windshield out in minutes.

Remove the trim.

Remove the rubber rope.

Take a handy razor knife, and get the blade between the window and rubber, and cut the molding at the back of the pocket. Pull off the outer lip and the windshield is sitting there barely held by the molding. Push out easily.

Magnus,

Thank you someone in the past filled the botomm with RTV and I could not see the botton part with your great description I wnt back and peeled away all the RTV.

Now I am at the stage that I have the rubber flap loosened. Having a bit of trouble pulling it out but it appears to be loose.

If I need more help I might reply with an SOS if not thank you .

You're welcome.

I'm betting the rtv in there is because someone wrongly assumed that's where their wet feet where coming from in the rain. Actually, they usually leak around the wiper post seals. Took me a looooooooonnnnnggggg time to figure that out also. Basically pulled over in the rain with my head under the dash looking for leaks.

I got it!!! well the glass has some previous cracks, and when I put pressure it really cracked but it came out in one piece.

Now I can get to all the parts I never could see.

I ordered some new gaskets for the wipers, but until now could not see how to put them in.

Anyway thanks for the help. I also found a steering universal joint from flaming river and solved my steering problem. Now if I can sneak into the garage and finish something before my wife, finds something else to do I will be all set.

Thanks for your help.

-
Back