'70 Duster Vinyl Top Question

-

mitch340Duster

Reaction score
For a full vinyl top, most places show a 36 or a 41" center width. The guy I ordered it from shows only one choice ("regular seam").
It came in yesterday and it's 41". BTW the VT on my car was gone when I got it so I don't know if it was 36 or 41 originally.
My concern with this is that the top was made with a LOT of extra material. There is probably a foot extra all around. I don't know why they would waste that much material so I'm wondering if maybe this top is for a bigger car ???
The guy I bought it from seems like a good guy and I asked him to check on it for me, but I wanted a 2nd opinion from you guys too. Thanks !!

Hey Mitch I still have the original top on my 70 Duster. The seams are 36in apart. I dont know whether they made both or not. I just wanted to give you the measurements off mine. David

As for the extra material, the vinyl top I bought for my Dart had a good deal of excess that needed to be trimmed off. Seems like a waste of material, but that's just how they are

Glad to see the vinyl top going back on it... So many people leave them off now days. On more than one occasion I have been told " Why in the world did you put that Vinyl top back on it?" Ugh... Some people..

Thanks for the input sleeper. To be honest, the top was one of the "negatives" when I considered buying the car. The other was the column shift. To change either would be entirely illegal for this restoration of a car that still had the AM radio in the dash. I've since changed my mind on the top and I now think I'm gonna really like it. You got any input on the 36/41 issue? Sounds like guys are saying it should be 36. Curious to see what the vendor says Monday.

Actually I just saw a pair of scissors on Ebay that I'm looking at. The title was
"Scissors for cutting the vinyl top on your Mopar, Dart, Duster, Challenger, Cuda, Roadrunner 340, 383, 440, HEMI Car"
Only $175.00

I'd never put a vinyl top on (I'm not a fan of rust). Personally if the car had one and I was inclined to put something back on, paint tech as come a long way so I would have it painted and reinstall the vinyl top trim back one. You get the same affect with less chance of rust and no special care for the top, win win to me.

My 71 has a white vinyl top needs a repair. There is a local guy here that can fix it. Can measure mine when I get home.

-
Back