Votes: 48 77.4%
  • all bout the 71-72!

Votes: 14 22.6%

• Total voters
-

KramerSwinger70

70 Dart Swinger360
Reaction score
ive seen the thread ffor ppl voting btewwn the 70-71 grill on darts/demons. just wanna see who thinks the 70 is better than 71-72 rear bumper on darts, or vice versa

'70 all the way. The mini two-per-side taillamps on '71-'73 Darts look too busy, and they don't work as well as the one-per-side '70 Dart/'71-'73 Scamp lights for, um, like, y'know, like, showing following drivers that you're about to stop. On the other hand, with the two-per-side taillamp setup you can do this -- you just have to move the reflectors and reversing lamp function elsewhere.

(So, why would you do something like that? 'Cause you're up to 28% less likely to get rear-ended if your rear turn signals are amber rather than red.)

well i know im 100% 70's lamp set up. i dont really mind the other, its just the 70 looks cleaner to me. simpler, if you will

'70 all the way. The mini two-per-side taillamps on '71-'73 Darts look too busy, and they don't work as well as the one-per-side '70 Dart/'71-'73 Scamp lights for, um, like, y'know, like, showing following drivers that you're about to stop. On the other hand, with the two-per-side taillamp setup you can do this -- you just have to move the reflectors and reversing lamp function elsewhere.

(So, why would you do something like that? 'Cause you're up to 28% less likely to get rear-ended if your rear turn signals are amber rather than red.)

Too busy??? Don't work as well??? Come on now you can't be serious. I can understand preferences, great. But that is just plain silly ,driving must be tougher for others.

Too busy???

That's an opinion based on appearance, which is what was asked for by the original poster in this thread. I gave mine. You don't agree? Fine.

Don't work as well??? Come on now you can't be serious.

I am completely serious. I'm an automotive lighting engineer, so I pay attention to these things. The legal regulations for brake lights permit a very large range of intensity. Brighter brake lights work better than dimmer ones. The regulations also specify a minimum lit area for the brake and tail light functions. Bigger ones work better than smaller ones. The '71-'73 Dart brake and tail lamps are right at the bare minimum size and brightness; the '70 Dart and '71-'73 Scamp lamps are both bigger and brighter. That means they work better; they do a better job of communicating the driver's presence or intent to stop or turn.

Just because you haven't ever thought about how well or poorly your brake lights do their job doesn't mean it's not a valid question.

The 70 lights don't work very well either. Some times on bright days you cant even tell there on. LOL

That's an opinion based on appearance, which is what was asked for by the original poster in this thread. I gave mine. You don't agree? Fine.

I am completely serious. I'm an automotive lighting engineer, so I pay attention to these things. The legal regulations for brake lights permit a very large range of intensity. Brighter brake lights work better than dimmer ones. The regulations also specify a minimum lit area for the brake and tail light functions. Bigger ones work better than smaller ones. The '71-'73 Dart brake and tail lamps are right at the bare minimum size and brightness; the '70 Dart and '71-'73 Scamp lamps are both bigger and brighter. That means they work better; they do a better job of communicating the driver's presence or intent to stop or turn.

Just because you haven't ever thought about how well or poorly your brake lights do their job doesn't mean it's not a valid question.

I own both, I think both a fine. Opinions are great, as I said. And I respect what you are saying. Fine then listen to what I said. Preferences are great. And I am sure you understand that before a car can be on the road. Lighting, suspension, impact etc must meet the US Dept. of Safety and Transportation minimums as I am sure you understand as a lighting engineer. They cannot roll on to the road without USDofT certification. I am speaking from experience with Chrysler Corp. and (sorry to say) Ford Motor Company. Again please understand I respect everyones' right to opinion (I like the '70 best too) but overall one person could feel both suck. Again let's just smile about it.

before a car can be on the road. Lighting, suspension, impact etc must meet the US Dept. of Safety and Transportation minimums

Right. The point you seem not quite to understand (or care about?) is that there's a large range of performance allowed. Bare-minimum compliance is just as legal as better-than-required, but better-than-required is, well…better!

Right. The point you seem not quite to understand (or care about?) is that there's a large range of performance allowed. Bare-minimum compliance is just as legal as better-than-required, but better-than-required is, well…better!

Ok, fine. I agree with much of what you reply. But don't tell me about what I care and don't care about. I have simply tried to explain to you how and why these items came to be. I will also tell you that one of the groups of engineers at Chrysler put forth the idea to change that the lense from one long one to two short ones was the rule in physics relied to as the "flashlight or lampshade effect" whereby much like on a lamp if you narrow the shade diameter the visibilty index increase with proposed lighting. In other words the group felt by changing the opening to two small ones vs one long one the given "cone of intensity" would be seen better. Some agreed some did not. There were also styling engineers that wanted their input as do so many others. So please read what I am explaining is why things were done as many people had an input. But Do Not tell me about what I do and do not care about. Take it for what it is worth, don't simply try to make this opinion poll a nation debate. People enjoy things for different reasons. I have respected yours, try to respect mine and others.

I wish you the best. I am going into the garage to work on my '70 Dart.

i voted for 71-2 ,only because i like the smaller lights. for some reason the 70 makes me think of an amc matador. of course i would take either one over my 76 bumper and lights.

-
Back