70 plum crazy vs 2018 plum crazy paint

-

gliderider06

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Is the 70 plum crazy the same as the new plum crazy color? Just curious, are they both the same paint code and/or paint formula? I went to get paint mixed at Napa today and he said they cant get some of the pigments to mix it anymore. I think I may need to get paint mixed elsewhere if its different.

I have used Restoration Shop paint from TCP Global with excellent results. The F8 green I painted my Barracuda with sprayed and covered as well as any name brand paint I've ever used.. I used their Epoxy primer and 2020 clear also. Very happy with them. I would have tried their high build primer, but I like Evercoat G2 so much. Here is a link to their Plum Crazy basecoat. The can mix just about any color from any year. just select Paint and then Restoration Shop on their website. When you follow the link, you may have to re-add 1970 Dodge, Plum Crazy, 2210 for chip code and C7 for manufacturer's code.
Restoration Shop OEM Paint Mix Type C
Cuda59.JPG
Cuda62.JPG

I think PPG has both, but the old Plum crazy is different then the new color. The new color has pearl in it and is quite a bit more expensive. When I was looking a couple of years ago, the top of line PPG was something like $700 for the original color, verses $1200 a gallon for the new. We ended up going with a House of Kolor purple which looks great, and less money.

I think PPG has both, but the old Plum crazy is different then the new color. The new color has pearl in it and is quite a bit more expensive. When I was looking a couple of years ago, the top of line PPG was something like $700 for the original color, verses $1200 a gallon for the new. We ended up going with a House of Kolor purple which looks great, and less money.
When I posted the plug for Restoration Shop paint from TCP Global, I forgot to mention a few things. First, they are a PPG dealer, so their house brand may be a PPG product. Second, their urethane basecoat is $329 per gallon, and the 2020 Clear (as good as anything I have used) is about $165 per gallon with hardener. Plus, I really liked their epoxy primer which can also be used as an excellent sealer when adding one part reducer.

When I posted the plug for Restoration Shop paint from TCP Global, I forgot to mention a few things. First, they are a PPG dealer, so their house brand may be a PPG product. Second, their urethane basecoat is $329 per gallon, and the 2020 Clear (as good as anything I have used) is about $165 per gallon with hardener. Plus, I really liked their epoxy primer which can also be used as an excellent sealer when adding one part reducer.

It could be possible that TCP is a PPG product, there are quite a few different grades of paint that they make. My friend used some TCP on his Dart, and it turned out well. It has been a while since I looked into the different companies that made the Mopar purples, but I recall a number of them made the original color. Look into Valspar, Dupont, BASF, Martin Senour as well.

I really like the TCP clear. I used it on my 97 when I painted it 3years ago. Buffed it after I painted it and haven't touched it since. Shines beautiful. I did the engine bay and door jams of the Duster using the 33% solids clear. I'm doing the trunk area this week and they had just enough pigment to mix me up a quart.
Napa did say, he will talk to his rep to get me the pigments needed for the pro-base line and possibly pull from other stores as well.
I will also look at the TCP line for the base as well. I forgot about them for getting the color.
Thanks!

It is a different mix. I used Glasurit 1970-71 FC7. I felt the new color was a touch dull. Or at least I get a matte like feeling from it. Now, I assume the base/clear mix is different altogether from the original single stage mix, but it is close enough to pretend
D3E5B571-73BD-42A1-A863-AC34612A5F09.jpeg

Hey, @Joeychgo, you should consider contacting TCP Global about being a sponsor. I sounds like several of us like their products, and a lot of us do body and paint.

Just as a comparison, here are a couple of pictures of the House of Kolor Pavo Purple that I went with. These were taken the day I picked up my Challenger from the paint shop.

DSC02310.JPG

DSC02313.JPG

DSC02317.JPG

DSC02315.JPG

It is a different mix. I used Glasurit 1970-71 FC7. I felt the new color was a touch dull. Or at least I get a matte like feeling from it. Now, I assume the base/clear mix is different altogether from the original single stage mix, but it is close enough to pretendView attachment 1715590185
Gorgeous! I've been pondering which purple to put on my '64 Dart Conv and the color of yours really pops.

Not sure about the OPs question but i wanted to say I have seen two different mixes over the years of Plum Crazy, one has more silver in it and actually looks silver when compared to the other which is more Purple. I dunno if the mixing shop is skimping on ingredients or what and i also think brand has something to do with it. Dupont Chroma base vs Nason for example.

I have used Restoration Shop paint from TCP Global with excellent results. The F8 green I painted my Barracuda with sprayed and covered as well as any name brand paint I've ever used.. I used their Epoxy primer and 2020 clear also. Very happy with them. I would have tried their high build primer, but I like Evercoat G2 so much. Here is a link to their Plum Crazy basecoat. The can mix just about any color from any year. just select Paint and then Restoration Shop on their website. When you follow the link, you may have to re-add 1970 Dodge, Plum Crazy, 2210 for chip code and C7 for manufacturer's code.
Restoration Shop OEM Paint Mix Type C
View attachment 1715590113 View attachment 1715590114
NICE Green.
What color is the interior?
White would look good with the white stripe

NICE Green.
What color is the interior?
White would look good with the white stripe
Thanks. The exterior is stock F8 Dark Green Metallic, and the interior is the stock Mopar Dark Metallic Green. Would you be able to see a white stripe on a white car? I've seen black stripes on a black car, and the only way (almost) you could see them was due to the different sheen. I saw a white 69 FB with red callout stripes and a red interior and red line tires That was a sharp looking car. I considered that combo when I restored my car the first time 26 years ago. I say first time, because after 15 years of driving it, it really needed a few dents fixed and some paint. So I just blew it completely apart and did it again in the same green/green colors.

Good looking car.
No I meant, green exterior with white stripe and white interior.
Be well.

-
Back