700HP 383 Buildup

-
yeaf i think like fantom that less weight makes a quicker car and with less weight you are not putting as much strees on the rest of the driveline wich wil make a quick car more reliable:)

ProStreetDuster said:
I don't know if this is the case, but I've run into so many so called 500-600hp small block Chevys, then they get waxed by a low 13 second Mopar. There are some VERY tricked out small block Chevys out there that can pump out that kind of power, but unless you know for sure he may just be pulling your chain. Just something to check out.

Its even funnier when the 500HP chev II gets beat by a primer and yellow 77 rabbit with a stock looking engine bay and street tires

Just looking at this post it looks like you need to pick a starting point from which you will build this engine. you cant have high boost and high compression (at least not for very long) you can get away with high compression if the cam has a lot of duration it will bleed off enough Cyl. pressure in you low and mid range that the head gasket should be able to survive for a while Plus 100LL is only about $.20 more than 92 octane here in McMinnville. Which brings me to another point dont use 76's "cool blue" 100 that stuff is terrible it clogs injectors jets filters and pums quickly we have had a lot of trouble with that stuff

Yes making it a stroker should make more power if setup right.
I would still try to find a 400 block if your going that route, then you could built a 499ci motor(my next motor). I'll take more cubes any day.

the best street legal fuel we have in australia is 98 octane.

POS Country

Ill more than likely go the Stroker way.
ive got 3 years before im allowed to drive the car with my licence.

700HP out of any N/A moter is hard and will take big bucks (7 to 10g's). And a street pump gas sub 440ci to me is undoable.
Formula for 700HP street motor N/A....
Big cubes- 500+
Big heads lots of port work.
Roller cam (a solid with enough lift for said heads will have duration issues)
Not so cheap springs for said cam
New caps and studs on a stock block with a half fill.
Crank (not stock)
Rods (not stock
Pistons ( not stock with a CR as high as you can go....IE the need big cubes)
Head studs
Side oiler with pan
Finding a intake with the most divability to help big cam and heads
Switching to EFI to get that intake to work well with that cam and heads
Good size bill from the engine builder to do the work
Biggest rad. and fans that will fit in the car.
IF it was that easy a viper or a zo6 vett both big ci engines would have 700+ hp. Most racers have issues getting over 700 to 750HP. For Mopars 650 to 700HP in a BB is line that devides the rather cheep and easy from the big bucks.

This is a funny thread. Nice to read some good honest feedback without flames flying.
Kidd, 10 sec streetcars are few and far between. Consider going to a track, looking at cars that go the time you aspire to. Look those cars over from front to back then back again. Look at the fuel system, not just the carb the whole system, tank to carb. The rear end and how its set up. leafs, ladder bars, ignition, cooling, think about cooling a 500 plus engine on the street.
Ask the owner about his tranny and in general how much it cost him/her to go that fast.

Not to hard to make an A body run 12's after that the ratio of tenths to dollars goes up expenencially. Like the Ricter scale.

I am willing to bet if you put your 383 together mildly, stock heads, good hyd cam, headers, good carb and ignition, decent converter, 3.90 gear or so, you will smoke the **** out of your mates SBC!

It's not too hard to make a 383 with 700hp.Do you have a set of small ported heads that flow around 350cfm?

gforce said:
what would be a realistic power range I can expect for a 383?
Im Planning to use an ATI Supercharger

If your running a supercharger then I'd say its complety possible. My buddy just got a 350 chevy (just 350- no stroke) off the dyno, with a blow through Pro-Charger pushing 760 horse power on pump gas with only about 12-14 lbs of boost and 8-1 compression. and it had alot more boost to go we just stopped there because he said that was more than enough(scardy cat chevy boys). For your Mopar I'd say the secret is in the heads. Edelbrock might be good enough- Indys would be best, but Indy also takes edel. heads and puts their own twist on it- give them a call and check with them. But I have faith in your 383 power house- you can do it!

I assume you are fairly young? Do you have the thousands of $ its gonna take to put this together? Who IS gonna put this together? To build big HP you need to know alot about tuning a HP engine. Then there is all the rest like I said earlier. 700 HP will be at least $7000. Then some $2500 or so in a tranny, $2500 rear end. No 8 3/4 will even handle that.

Okay so you have all that, then you drop it in a car and spin the tires and the car body to shreads! If you can make it run. Can you drive it? I know a few men afraid to put the hammer down! Oh I know, but when the tires break loose and it gets sideways....If anybody has not been there a few times, A HP car is not a good first time trial by fire.

A dyno will not make you fast! These guy who are so concerned with dyno numbers are all fine and good if you know what that number translates to on the 1/4 mile. Dyno guys know you want that big number so they tune for it.
A chasis dyno? The car is not moving. Not pushing the gas back to the tank.
Not going thru the air. The engine is not working as hard as it will in real racing.
sorry. off subjest a bit..

I say start out slow. A mild 383 in an A body is a wicked fast rig real easy.

START SLOW.
good luck.
out

I use a rather crude but effective scale for pricing.. for up to 450 horsepower, figure $10/hp. For 450-525, $15/hp. Fro 525-650 (debatable limit of stock blocks) $20/hp. Over 650, it costs what it costs, and if you have to ask, you probably cant afford it. This is for a very safe and stable package, using a carb(s), and conventional ingition and fuel system. You still havent done anything to the rest of the car, so you always need to keep the "whole" in mind.

Nathan just to show you what you're up against trying to make 700 hp with a naturally aspirated 383 on pump gas.This article has three of the top engine builders in the world building a Chevrolet 454....Ford 460....and a Mopar 440 to run on pump gas and neither engine quite achieved 700 hp.The 440 did win out over the other two though.hehe

http://popularhotrodding.com/enginemasters/0110_phr_bb/

-
Back