'71 318 Auto Pilot Bushing O/D

-

robertodonnell

Reaction score
Hi all,

I need to know the diameter of the pilot bushing register in a '71 318 crank.

By my own measuring it's 23mm, but all the stuff I've read has it at 23.8, or 15/16" or .940"

The bushing I've been supplied is 23.7mm, and it's not going in by any stretch.

Thanks guys,

Robert

There's two potential problems with auto cranks. Some of them are not drilled DEEP enough, so you need to install the bell, measure from the face of the bell to the bottom of the pilot, and compare to your transmission shaft. The common thing used to be to cut a little off the shaft. If memory serves, about 1/4 -- 3/8", so about 10mm

Instead of using the undersize bushing, probably a better way to go is to use the more modern "Jeep" style pilot bushing / bearing, which mounts in the converter register of the crank instead of the original pilot bushing hole

Looks like this, you can get them in bushing or roller bearing

P4876056AA.jpg

Not sure if the Jeep one will fit the 'box-I'm using a T5 Ford box.

Other issue could be obtaining the part in Aust. We didn't get V8 Jeep's here until the Hemi's, so if the 6 cyl one from the early 90's fits, I'm good.

Thanks for the heads up though, will see if I can locate a spares supplier today.

One from a 94 6cyl dakota truck should work for you.
I have a new not installed one that I can measure for you if want.

Thanks for the offer, but I managed to linish down the bushing I was supplied to the correct diameter for the crank. It's now fitted and the motor is back in the car.

-
Back