71 340 Duster Tach

-

MrDuster

Reaction score
If you own a 71 340 Duster with the original FACTORY tach would you PLEASE post a picture of the tach here?

I've heard it goes to 7K or 8K after I bought one that goes to 6k…another 6k one has red markings at 5.5 to 6K…I'm confused…can anyone help? THANKS and Happy Thanksgiving!

After seeing your PM? I see where you are going with this

The one I sent you is out off my 71 Orange Duster. I removed it because I installed a recall Tachometer and gauges for the new motor and the factory tachometer was not hooked up anymore. I have and I am using the factory harness in another car. It was still connected before I took the pics. The red line tach which is Identical except for the red line came from my 71 Demon. I just noticed I also have that harness also.

You wanted me to send you the tach that I thought was better for your car. I sent you the white face tach. Better condition out of my Duster and I know it works.

Here is pics of what I sent and where it came from. The other red line is still in the Demon dash.

Attachments

• DSCN1404.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 232
  • DSCN1405.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 235
  • DSCF0004.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 210
  • spoiler pics 800.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 226
Here's an original one still in the dash of my April build 71 demon.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 576
Hey Steve, Thanks for the info. This post isn't a slam on you at all…or an underhanded attempt to load a cannon to blast you…not how I operate. Yeah, I got to admit I was disappointed when I saw the tach in the picture as I was really expecting the red one… I thought I asked for the red one, but in reviewing my correspondence I didn't…I'm losing my mind sometimes I think lol. I really appreciate you sending me the fuel core, the turn signal switch, and the tach you sent is fine-thanks for sending what you felt best for my 71 340 Duster. I trusted your judgment as I saw your positive feedback and very cool looking orange Duster…I figure anyone with a 340 Duster can't be that bad! I appreciate you sending me a tach you know works as I'm ready to get Mr Duster back on the road. In fact, the tach you sent is perfect for reconditioning to a newer face as I have found the white template, but not the red. I'd like to "freshen up" the face to make it brighter so it fits more with the other instruments…see picture below. At this point I'm leaning toward freshening up the face to match the other instruments and using the tach you sent over a repro.

I saw some posts elsewhere of Mopar tachs that went to 7k and 8k and nows the time to decide what to put in my Duster. Mike Mancini of Mancini Racing had a post awhile back I found on another forum in which he said the red markings tach were used starting in the fall of 70 and thru 71…but, he has seen the white face in 70's and 71's too. I'm not sure about the 7k and 8K repo's that are out there…that's why I asked folks to send pictures of their 71 340 tachs…to see if any factory tachs went to 8k. If a factory tach went to 7 or 8K I might go for a repo. It looks like from what I'm finding so far the factory 70 and 71 tachs were only up to 6k. My car was a late 70 build so it could have had either tach.

Anyone have any info on factory 7 or 8K tachs or why the repro's go higher…speak up!

Attachments

• Mark display.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 190
I've never seen a 7-8 grand Factory A-Body tach myself but I won't say that I'm an A-Body expert.
I've been into these cars since the mid to later seventies though.
I just refaced my tach with an overlay that has the redline per a couple of people's suggestions but still don't know if it's right for my SPD 925.

I think (without proof) I should have just used the white face because of the early build.

Oh and although I marked my housing for proper placement I feel the decal has shifted everything slightly counterclockwise.:banghead:

Ron

Thanks Ron. Where did you get your redline overlay? Can you post a picture? The only place I've found in my few searches is Premiumdashdecals.com and they offer the white...the white seems more universal...wish someone knew more on the original red marking ones for late 70 and 71...like why they were only around for a short time.

The orange line ones were most common on the late 71 but could also be on early ones, also some late 71's have been found with white only. There definitely is know right or wrong probably a supplier thing. Also to the best of my knowledge the redline is actually orange.

I usually run alot of my 71 A-Body questions past Scott Smith from Harms Auto.
He is passionate about 71's and is doing an OE restoration as we speak on a Duster.

He felt I should go with the redline.
I got mine from who you mentioned: (http://premiumdashdecals.com/)

Just had to ask for it and he felt 71 was better with the Redline also.
Dave at Performance Car Graphics felt there was no data to support going With the Redline.
Here is a picture of it which proves I am NO photographer!!!
If my pictures weren't blurry they wouldn't be my pictures.
Ron

Attachments

• IMG_3290 (Large).jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 167
Thanks for the information guys. I stand corrected orange...not red! Lol

Ron--your instrument cluster looks awesome! Can't wait to get mine back in. I'm cleaning up some rust issues on my dash metal, then plan to put the cluster back in. I guess the repro tach's that you can buy for our Rally dashes and go to 8k aren't true reproductions of what was available for a bodies back in the day.

MrDuster I answered your PM.
Man there are so many incorrect Repro. parts out there but sometimes something is better than nothing!

I remember back about 20+ years ago when I bought a GTX convertible with a bad "Postage Stamp" tach I thought I'll just pick up a new one from Year One.
Boy was I disappointed with that inaccurate looking piece of crap!
Had to search the classified papers till I found an NOS tach for the car.
The want ads in magazines and papers sure were fun.
Ron

-
Back