71-74 8.75 b body rear

-

Duster708

Reaction score
i have the late 489 71-74 b rear i no i have to move the spring perches in a few inches to a body width, but will it be too wide for wheels? or will i have to narrow it?

if anybody has the later 8 3/4 in there car let me no some things uve encountered

everybody else throw in your 2c

but i have the later b rear end flange to flange is 57.8" perch to perch is 47.3" so u have to move the perches more than an inch.. i also want to put the willwood rear disc kit on it, and moser axles but that will change the offset, and idk if it will stick out too far then

Oooo ok I think throwing disc on the rear makes it stick out 3/4 more then drums but I'm not 100% positive any how others will chime in and tell you the offset your looking for

Never Moved mine. Works well. Also Able to use 15x8 with 4in back spacing

74burnt orange are you using the 71-74 rear? The early b rears are the ones 1 inch different on the perches and 1.25 to 1.5 inches wider each side. Know this for a fact as i have 3 of the 66 rears.

but i have the later b rear end flange to flange is 57.8" perch to perch is 47.3" so u have to move the perches more than an inch.. i also want to put the willwood rear disc kit on it, and moser axles but that will change the offset, and idk if it will stick out too far then

I'm assuming you have a Duster by your user name. The B body rear will work fine. Some guys will tell you to pull the springs out a half inch on each side and bolt it up. This will work, but I don't like the geometry.

Where did you get 47.3 on the perches? It should be 44 from center to center. A body is 43. I moved my perches in 1/2 in on each side and shortened and balanced the driveshaft. I'm running stock Rallye wheels.

Here is a pic, it's in a Dart Sport.

74burnt orange are you using the 71-74 rear? The early b rears are the ones 1 inch different on the perches and 1.25 to 1.5 inches wider each side. Know this for a fact as i have 3 of the 66 rears.

Early year

Right. What everyones missing here is his b rear is 71 -74. A lot wider. Will not work easy unless you use wheels with a lot of backspace. 7 or 8 inches I believe.

I'm assuming you have a Duster by your user name. The B body rear will work fine. Some guys will tell you to pull the springs out a half inch on each side and bolt it up. This will work, but I don't like the geometry.

Where did you get 47.3 on the perches? It should be 44 from center to center. A body is 43. I moved my perches in 1/2 in on each side and shortened and balanced the driveshaft. I'm running stock Rallye wheels.

Here is a pic, it's in a Dart Sport.

Badsport yours must be an early b rear. A-body, 65-72 55.6 43.0 4" lug bolt circle, offered in heavy duty apps.
B-body, 62-70 59.2 44.0
B-body, 71-72 62.0 47.3
B-body, 71-72 63.4 47.3 station wagon
C-body, 64-72 63.4 47.3
D-body, 64-72 63.4 47.3
E-body, 70-74 60.7 46.0

Must be, I didn't think they varied that much. There are several sources for measurements and they differ from one another.

If that's the case then that rear may be too wide, and would need shortened.

thanks for chipen in dare devil some people dont seem to read it right.... it is a 71-74 rear wich means its a couple inches wider and the perches are 43.7 apart i have a print out of axle dimensions and i measured mine 3-4 times already to c what i got... most people do length measurements wrong too... ur supose to measure flange to flange

but thanks for the help guys if i did have the early b i could put it in easier but i found a couple bare abody with housings.. i think il just swap the pig nose and get the moser goodies.... oops i ment 47.3 but what ever....

will 10" wide wheels work with the stock abody width?

I read it right, look at what you posted for flange to flange. 57.8 that is why I asked you where you got the 47.3 from.

At 57.8 it would fit in your car just fine. According to daredevil your rear should measure 62.0 which would be too wide.

The rear you have is more than a couple inches wider, it is 6.5 inches wider than an A body rear.

Right. What everyones missing here is his b rear is 71 -74. A lot wider. Will not work easy unless you use wheels with a lot of backspace. 7 or 8 inches I believe.

Yup, my mistake for reading the measurements that the OP posted.

couple inches wider then the early b rear is what i ment, but 62 might be the outside of the drum to drum

That list above is TRACK width which has nothing to do with actual rear end length.

All B body measurements

Here's drum to drum
'65-'67= 59 1/2"
'68-'70= 60 1/8"
'71-'74= 63"

Housing width
'65-'67= 54 1/4"
'68-'70= 54 15/16"
'71-'74= 57 7/8"

Perches
62-'70= 44"
'71-'74= 47.3

It's tough enough trying to use a 68-70 B rear and the required wheel offset, it would be crazy offset with a 71-74 rear.

-
Back