71 and 67 318 heads??

-

soaringcowman

Reaction score
Questions is there any difference between a set of 67 and 71 318 heads? i've got the 71's on my car now with a few bad valves and have a set of possibly good 67 heads. i was gonna swap them out if there isn't a difference??

thanks
adam

Probably next to zero difference other than the casting number. 1.78/1.50 valves, open chambers etc. Both lack hardened exh valve seats. Why not get a set of the 302 heads and plop them on - wont cost that much if you have to redo a set and they will have closed chambers (higher comp ratio) and hard exh seats. With a little intake port work you'll have better heads. my 02.

hey thanks alot for the info, i've always loved mopars, but this is my first one so what exactly are the 302 heads off of? and is there any modifcation i gotta do to put these on instead?

'67 heads will have a smaller combustion chamber so they will raise your compression some.

Chuck

The 302 heads are a direct bolt on, no changes. The intake ports are pretty narrow thru the pushrod bulge and that area should be shaved down as much as possible. If you get a set you'll see what I mean. You can find these heads on just about any late eighties thru early 90's 318's, diplomats, vans etc will have them. Make sure to look for heads that have 5 valve cover bolt holes and the last 3 digits of the casting are 302.

It should increase because you will have a higher comp ratio according to 340 mopar. I am not 100% familiar with the 67 heads, I know 66 273 heads are closed chamber, but not sure about 67's. Take a look at the underside of the 67 head, in other words the side facing the pistons. Is the combustion chamber a circle that is below the head surface or a sort of half moon shape that is flush on one side with the face of the head ?

It was a while ago, but I think they were cut .050. I know I had to cut the intake to match them, but the chamber was slightly relieved too.

-
Back