71 charger ....leaded fuel??

-

dburkett8

Reaction score
I am working on restoring a 1971 charger . It has a 383 engine 2 barrel carb and a 727 torqueflite tranny.Everything is coming along and i realized i dont even know what type of fuel the car is supposed to take. On the vehicle there is a tag that states that the vehicle is in accordance with the clean air act of 1967. Does that mean my car can only take leaded fuel? If so are additives already placed in our un-leaded fuel or do i have to buy thoose?

If your engine is an untouched 1971 383 then it doesn't have hardened valve seats and it needs that to burn unleaded fuel, so IMO you will need a lead additive to keep the valve seats from burning, but someone else may have more info.

The Tetra-ethyl-lead was put into the fuel firstly as an antiknock agent then for valve stem to guide lubrication and to act as a cushion between the exhaust valve face and exhaust seat. It comes down to how much you plan on driving the Charger. If you're going to drive it everyday then you should look into getting hardened exhaust valve seats and bronze valve guides installed. If it's only going to be a weekend driver as long as you run unleaded premium you shouldn't have a problem. Up here I don't even think you can buy the tetraethyl-lead additive and it's probably illegal to use anyway, it's probably the same in some of the states.

I used this stuff untill I had my engine rebuilt. $5.45 a bottle.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Gunk-M5012-Lead-Substitute-fl/dp/B002008NWA/ref=pd_sim_auto2"]Amazon.com: Gunk M5012 Lead Substitute - 12 fl. oz.: Automotive[/ame]

Attachments

• leadsub.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 169
unleadedfuel.jpg

Nice find Joe!! I like the part where it says: continuous use of no lead can lead to possible engine failure, I have had arguments with people telling me that there is NO PROBLEM running no lead in an old pre no lead engine..enuf said...

Nice find Joe!! I like the part where it says: continuous use of no lead can lead to possible engine failure, I have had arguments with people telling me that there is NO PROBLEM running no lead in an old pre no lead engine..enuf said...

oh yea it will pound the valve seats out.. especially if you put heavier valve springs on.. thats why they went to hardened seats.. but as much as some actually drive their car it would probably take 30 years to hurt it now..lol

found that card in my 71 dart parts car. gave it to buddy restoring a 71 charger. thought it would be cool to display..

I've read several statements by people who should know that using unleaded fuel in older engines is NOT a real big problem. I'm sure extreme cases like trailer towing, an engine that runs REALLY hot, etc, will be worse.

thse days your right its probably not a huge deal because the cars aren't used for daily driving for the most part.

-
Back