71 Dart 440 swap

-

'71cali-dart

Reaction score
one of my buddies just ran into an old friend tryin to make ends meet buy selling his freshly machined/built 440. looking out for me he got a little info on it and fed it to me. so now im stuck trying to figure out if this big block swap is something i really want to do. i currently have a 318 in my swinger, and have kind of been looking for another motor anyways... What kind of work am i looking at, with alterations and what not? also with transmission and rear end.
any info will be appreciated

oh ya, all the work is accounted for with receipts. (bored,sized,cam,intake,manifold ect...)

Transmission,driveshaft,mounts(schumacher).At least a 8.25 rearend to putt around.8 3/4 or Dana for serious street or strip work.That is the major parts anyway.On a Mopar,you are gonna re-engineer the whole car.

Don't forget exhaust, upgrade brakes if there not, Frame connectors, cooling system torsion bars to handle the extra weight. Only a hand full of things fit and only a few fit well. I suggest strolling though the tech articles on Bigblockdart. Might help you decide.

To put it simply, the swap is not for the faint of heart. That or the small bank account.

You will need to start off by getting everything you need first, motor, 727 trans, oil pan #187 or #699, 8 1/4 or 8 3/4 rear axle, Schumacher motor mounts and a new drive shaft. You can use the 318 torsion bars if you want, but your handling will not be the greatest on turns. Drag strip they will be fine. Your brakes should be up grated. You will have to do some cutting around the driverside motor mount for oil pump clearance. Than you will have to find headers like Schumacher make or TTI, unless you can get a set of manifolds that work. Now you will have to get a radiator that works and a fan system that fits. You can add a set of frameties for better handling, but you can run without them. You will have to watch your hood, brake mastercylinder, and heater fan clearances. Any questions send me a PM.

thanks for all the info guys. i think im gonna need to go another direction, probably just a good sb build.

The swap is not as hard as some folks will say and maybe not as easy as I say it is, but if you're even down towards Fresno let me know and I'll show you how easy it is and how stuff really fits. It's not cheap, but there are ways to get it done without breaking the bank.

-
Back