71 Dart / 5.9 Magnum / Procharger

-
Okay, finally another update. Took the Dart to the track last night, these results are all motor.... N/A. Hardly had any time to tune on Dad's Holley 950 HP. Temp was in the 90's and Humid as all get out. 1/8 Mile track. Best pass was 7.51 @ 93 MPH. I know it's got a lot more in it with carb tuning and playing with timing but I was just looking for a shakedown pass before I install the procharger. Everything went well and nothing broke. Had a Blast. Now it's time to get serious.

Hopefully I'll be posting some 10 lb boost numbers soon! Been a busy summer and I've barely had any time to work on the Dart.
That’s a great mph for NA!

That’s a great mph for NA!
Yeah, I was pretty happy with the MPH considering the heat and basically no fine tuning on the carb. Here are some pics. I was hoping for a better 60 ft but this converter was built with 10 lbs of boost in mind so that may be part of it. There was no spinning thought, it hooked.

Dart 25.png

Dart 26.jpg

Dart 27.jpg

Okay guys, got the procharger all mounted on to the 414 Built for boost. Keep in mind this is the same blow through carb that I was running with the old magnum motor. Haven't made any adjustments or changes to the carb but it has sit for over 6 months so might be gummed up?

Anyway, started the car and everything was fine but it didn't want to idle. Simple turn of the idle screw and adjusted the 4 corner idle screws and got it running good at idle. (14s AFR). Took it for a drive and right when I lightly pressed the throttle it ran like total crap.... looked down and it's PIG RICH... 8.5:1 AFR. Turned around and went back to house.

Haven't had time to mess with it since then. Hope to tonight. Where to start? Take off primary fuel bowl and look for stuck float? But if that's it you wouldn't think it would idle good? Maybe dirty needle and seat? Would this blow through carb have any special needle and seat or just a stock one? Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

I would blow it apart and clean every port. Probably trash/varnish from the new gas. i built my blowthru carb and It definitely has bigger needle and seat. I will have to look thru my notes to get the exact size.

I would blow it apart and clean every port. Probably trash/varnish from the new gas. i built my blowthru carb and It definitely has bigger needle and seat. I will have to look thru my notes to get the exact size.
Took your advice, pulled the carb off the car and completely apart. Used a can of carb cleaner and air compressor to clean it. Went for a drive last night and everything is good now. Thanks! Hopefully we'll see a 1/4 mile pass soon on 10 lbs of boost. I've got a new carb hat that will point straight forward, just need to fab up a new charge pipe. Hoping for a 10 second pass very soon. Drag week is sneaking up on me.

Okay, Drag week is fast approaching. I'm taking the Dart to an 1/8 mile track tonight with the procharger installed. Will be 10 lbs of boost but I'll be conservative with timing and AFR's since it's the first pass on the new combo. I hope this thing will still hook, it feels completely different. Wish me luck!

Yes made it to the track. Was very happy to find the car still hooks. Went 6.75 @ 102. That was a very conservative tune and only 5 lbs of Boost! Not sure why I didn't have 10 lbs it must be leaking somewhere between the procharger and the carb hat. That pass did a 1.47 60ft. Now to find where that other 5 lbs is going!

Dart 29.png

Dart 30.png

Man that thing is hooking, I see daylight under the drivers front tire!!!!!! Good MPH!!

Update. Ditched my old carb hat that was at a 45 degree angle and fabbed up a new charge pipe to my new carb hat that puts it straight on. Only problem is it no longer fits under my stock hood. With Drag week fast approaching I had to cut a hole to get the hood to shut. I've got a 6 pack scoop on it's way that will cover it up.

Found out my new engine is much more efficient than the last so that's why we aren't making 10 lbs of boost. Was running a 4.25 inch pulley on the procharger and now will be running a 4.0 inch. Should be here Friday and hopefully will give me a full 10 lbs. Headed to make a few 1/4 mile passes in Bowling Green Saturday night. I'll post back with results.

Dart 31.jpg

Dart 32.jpg

Love the small cut in the hood. I would roll like that!! I’m coming up on Monday for the start of dragweek. See ya there!

Love the small cut in the hood. I would roll like that!! I’m coming up on Monday for the start of dragweek. See ya there!
Hell yeah, look for the Dart and come say hello. Concerning the hole, I just didn't know about driving through hard rain (or it sitting in a hotel parking lot) and getting a bunch of water in my distributor and other electronics. The hood scoop was mostly going to just keep water out of the engine bay.

Went to Bowling Green and ran 10.65 @ 128 MPH. This was spinning off the line and belt slipping so only 6 lbs of boost. It launched very hard (wheels up) then spun about 10-15 feet out. I think the track was slick because I saw tons of cars hook then spin.

Stole my wife's oven pan for a homemade hood scoop. This should keep most the rain out during drag week. I'll stuff a towel in there in the hard rain.

Dart 34.jpg

Dart 35.jpg

Dart 36.jpg

Dart 37.jpg

wow, so substract the 2 tenths from the 60ft. before….and add little more boost....and you have a low 10 sec. car. It´s that easy ;-)

I like it very much, wish you good luck @ dragweek!

Michael

-
Back