71 Dart, can't get instrument cluster out

-

LivewireBlanco

Reaction score
I'm about to say screws it and live with broken gauges. I dropped the steering column and I still don't have enough room to get it out. Unless I put all my weight down on the steering wheel and have a second helper pull the cluster out it's not coming out in one piece.

Drop the steering column down. Have it laying on the seat. Unhook the Speedo cable. Remove the cluster screws and tilt the top of the cluster out until you can get to the wiring connectors. Carefully unplug them and it should come out. I've removed the cluster a few times in my '70 dart

I removed my brother's last week. Remove the three bolts at the fire wall to get the column to go lower. I removed the headlight switch rod too. Then rotate the cluster to remove(you have to clear the lower part).

20180724_125521.jpg

I fought it on my first try. Now I can do it in 10 minutes. Also, there is a clip that holds the wiring harness to the gauges it's just a metal tab that bends around the wires. And make sure your wiring harness isn't caught on the Speedo, it's sticks out the back when the Speedo cable is removed.

-
Back