71 Dart disc brake conversion

-

craigb

Reaction score
I am considering buying a 71 Dart with factory non-power drum brakes The plan is to take it on Hot Rod Power tour and I would like to upgrade brakes. What are my options? I don't want to change bolt pattern, I have done this on another project and I know what parts etc. are needed for that conversion.

Hot Rod Power tour, eh? That sounds like a great time! Too far for me to consider driving. If you actually get your Dart and make it to the event, post up them pics!

As far as the disc brakes, I'm fairly certain I'm going witht the Scarebird conversion. (Or as abodyjoe calls it Scaredbird!) This will allow you to convert to LBP or stay with SBP, whatever your preference. Lots of people here have done it, and it is a pretty simple install.

craigb,

I too have a 1971 Dart (GT) that had the manual 10" drum brakes.

I immediately installed the SSBC front disc brake conversion kit. It was pricey (~$830 at the time) but it was very complete and nearly jumped onto the vehicle by itself.

The SSBC kit allows either the large bolt pattern (5 on 4 1/2") or the small bolt pattern (5 on 4"). My car also has the factory 8 3/4" 3.23 sure-grip rear end.

I'm happy with my Scarbird set up. Even got drilled and slotted rotors with carbon fiber ceramic pad for about $350...pretty good price if you ask me.

-
Back