71 Dart, Fuel/Temp Gauges

-

71Dartskies

Reaction score
Hello all, first post, have used the search function but cannot find an answer, maybe on of you long timers might know. If the regulator on the cluster of my 71 dart fails (non rallye cluster), is it possible that the fuel gauge will still work (reading incorrectly of course), but the temperature gauge wont read at all?

I have installed 2 different temp senders now and both didn't resolve the issue. I grounded out the wire going to the temp sender and turned the key on, the fuel gauge reads very low (with a full tank) but at least works somewhat, but the temperature gauge reads nothing. The car was fully warmed up when tested keep in mind.

I have a new cluster regulator on the way, and plan to install it anyways but just looking advice if i should dig more into the wiring or just wait until the new regulator.

Hello all, first post, have used the search function but cannot find an answer, maybe on of you long timers might know. If the regulator on the cluster of my 71 dart fails (non rallye cluster), is it possible that the fuel gauge will still work (reading incorrectly of course), but the temperature gauge wont read at all?

I have installed 2 different temp senders now and both didn't resolve the issue. I grounded out the wire going to the temp sender and turned the key on, the fuel gauge reads very low (with a full tank) but at least works somewhat, but the temperature gauge reads nothing. The car was fully warmed up when tested keep in mind.

I have a new cluster regulator on the way, and plan to install it anyways but just looking advice if i should dig more into the wiring or just wait until the new regulator.
You mean "limiter". All the gauges run on 6volts from the limiter. Each gauge has a separate sender. If your fuel gauge works [somewhat] that sender [in tank] needs adjusting. The aftermarket temp senders are all bad. The ohmage is always too high, thus your gauge never receives much voltage. Try to find a NOS sender or get your gauge calibrated to the sender. Or, buy an aftermarket gauge that comes with a sender and mount under the dash.

-
Back