71 dart slant six modifications.

-

moturbopar

Reaction score
Ok, picked up another a body. 71 dart, slant six, 904. factory A/C! Car is really straight but needs a lot of work. Anyways originaly planed on doing a 360 swap, but have been reconsidering keeping the slant. Thinking of going through the engine, re-ring, new bearings. and a mild cam looking at howards cam specs are 214 at .050 intake and exhaust, .450 lift, on a 112 lobe separation. The head will be modified with 1.70 1.44 stainless valves and some port work. Thinking an offy intake, with a 600 dbl pump. log manifold with t-3 flange. Hybrid turbo s-60, t-3 with stage 3 turbine with a .63 housing. Thinking 3.23 gears, stock converter, and performance rebuild on the 904. This will be my first slant build. I think with some tunning it could go 12s. So what do you guys think?

Ok, picked up another a body. 71 dart, slant six, 904. factory A/C! Car is really straight but needs a lot of work. Anyways originaly planed on doing a 360 swap, but have been reconsidering keeping the slant. Thinking of going through the engine, re-ring, new bearings. and a mild cam looking at howards cam specs are 214 at .050 intake and exhaust, .450 lift, on a 112 lobe separation. The head will be modified with 1.70 1.44 stainless valves and some port work. Thinking an offy intake, with a 600 dbl pump. log manifold with t-3 flange. Hybrid turbo s-60, t-3 with stage 3 turbine with a .63 housing. Thinking 3.23 gears, stock converter, and performance rebuild on the 904. This will be my first slant build. I think with some tunning it could go 12s. So what do you guys think?
I think If yourenrunning a turbo you should maybe run 2.76 gears, turbos love load. Also if youre into it check out the 198 connecting rod combo, guys who aren't on difficult to type on cell phones can give you more theory on the "why thats not a bad idea". Keep in mind, porting porting porting! Sounds like you've done your homework and have an awesome combo cooking. Good work!

What HE said, (the poster who wrote response #2,) especially about the final drive ratio.

Congratulations on having made a great choice of powerplants!

Turbochargers and slant sixes were made for each other!!!

My opinion... you won't be sorry!

This forum and the Slantsix.org website both have a lot of excellent information available on turboing these engines. All you have to do is ask!

Welcome to my world... :cheers:

What HE said, (the poster who wrote response #2,) especially about the final drive ratio.

Congratulations on having made a great choice of powerplants!

Turbochargers and slant sixes were made for each other!!!

My opinion... you won't be sorry!

This forum and the Slantsix.org website both have a lot of excellent information available on turboing these engines. All you have to do is ask!

Welcome to my world... :cheers:
Listen to what this one says, he claims he dont know jack shizzle about what he's doing and meanwhile building a slant car that could easily dip into the 12 second mark.

Hey thanks guys. I have built a few turbo cars in the past, mostly ford 2.3 stuff, so I have a general idea, how to apply it to the slant, but every power plant is different. Tired of the 2.3, decided the slant might be fun. the way these things are laid out in the cars, it almost like Chrysler new that people were going to add boost later on!
I think I am going to do major internal mods, on a spare engine. Would like to get most of the kinks worked out, on a low buck short block. Later on, planned on longer H beam rods, studded block, and forged pistons But for now I am all about the low buck. As for porting, I have never messed with one of these heads, but I have a flow bench so I guess I will be learning!!

Listen to what this one says, he claims he dont know jack shizzle about what he's doing and meanwhile building a slant car that could easily dip into the 12 second mark.

Thanks for the kind words, Matt; I have no experience with turbos nor slants sixes, but I can READ, and there is such a wealth of knowledge posted from people who DO now what they're are doing, that, it's quite an education, if one pays attention!

Our car is getting very close to being strip-ready, so we'll see if all my effort to educate myself on this stuff pays off.

I'll let you guys know, either way,

Hopin' for the best...:prayer:

Hey thanks guys. I have built a few turbo cars in the past, mostly ford 2.3 stuff, so I have a general idea, how to apply it to the slant, but every power plant is different. Tired of the 2.3, decided the slant might be fun. the way these things are laid out in the cars, it almost like Chrysler new that people were going to add boost later on!
I think I am going to do major internal mods, on a spare engine. Would like to get most of the kinks worked out, on a low buck short block. Later on, planned on longer H beam rods, studded block, and forged pistons But for now I am all about the low buck. As for porting, I have never messed with one of these heads, but I have a flow bench so I guess I will be learning!!

I just read where the 2015 Mustang will be offered with a 2300 turbo four-cylinder that will have 300+ advertised horsepower. I read one estimate that said they had information that it probably will be listed at 330hp. It is going to replace the V-6.

Jist thought you might not have seen that.

Pulling 300 hp out of a turbocharged slant six can be done with stock pistons and a stock bottom end, you just have to be careful to avoid detonation.

Over that, yes you'll need forged rods, pistons, special studs, and ensure that you have an early (forged) crank, although that last thing might not be necessary.
Have fun! These things can pay big dividends with some boost...:blob:

Thinking about running a factory 2 bbl intake adapted to fit a holley 2bbl carb, just to save some $$. Got the engine started and it runs too good to pull apart now. Just going to do the intake ,and use the factory manifold with a u bend for now. While messing around with it, ill start building a forged turbo motor, that will handle the boost.

Thinking about running a factory 2 bbl intake adapted to fit a holley 2bbl carb, just to save some $$. Got the engine started and it runs too good to pull apart now. Just going to do the intake ,and use the factory manifold with a u bend for now. While messing around with it, ill start building a forged turbo motor, that will handle the boost.

Sounds like an excellent plan to me!

Keep us updated, please, on how you're coming along with this.

If you keep the boost at ten pounds or below, and the spark advance at 18-degrees, or close, it will probably last forever if you get the A/F rattio correct.

Good luck with this!!!:blob:

Ten pounds of boost will REALLY wake up a slant six!!

been wanting to mess with a turbo slant too.have built a couple 2.3 fords also.had it running 24 pounds of boost.it was a rocket!

been wanting to mess with a turbo slant too.have built a couple 2.3 fords also.had it running 24 pounds of boost.it was a rocket!
The little 2.3s are pretty impressive for what they are! Hoping the slants will respond similarly. Kind of excited to do this build!

The little 2.3s are pretty impressive for what they are! Hoping the slants will respond similarly. Kind of excited to do this build!

Well, it ain't cheap, nor is it particularly easy, but if you do it right (ARP 220,000psi head studs, O-ring the block, and buy an A/F ratio meter for mixture tuning,) the rewards are great and long-lasting. And, it's not just one more 360 in an A Body...

Good luck with it!!!:cheers:

-
Back