71' Dart Window Sill Trim Removal

-

Tinmannz

Reaction score
Could someone please share the magic to removing the window sill trim. I found a previous post as it relates to the sequence of removing the window glass, but it didn't go into any detail.

I'm wanting to remove the sill trim and cat whiskers so I can do some touch-up paint but I'm at a bit of a loss on this.

Im not sure which trim you are referring to. What is the location of it?
Are you talking about the door glass?

Im not sure which trim you are referring to. What is the location of it?
Are you talking about the door glass?
Mike, its the trim piece that runs on top of the door, paralell with the cat whiskers, outside of the window glass. I have a Swinger, so I'm not sure if that makes a difference in trim level.

That trim was optional, not all cars had it. It is held on with those spring clips like used on door panels. They just pop off. Get something under the trim and gently pry up and it should pop. Work your way down to the other end.
I just pulled some off a 71 swinger the other day. I can check to make sure but I dont recall there being any through bolts, just the spring clips.
Be real careful with the cat wiskars. If the clips are rusty they will probably break. If they are original they are probably due for replacement anyways.

Drip rail chrome, Use a pliers/channel locks and a paint stick front to rear. Been saving them for years and just sold some sets at Carlisle. If not removed correctly they will arc and become useless. Vinyl trim is green on the backside and will not work on a non-vinyl car.

That trim was optional, not all cars had it. It is held on with those spring clips like used on door panels. They just pop off. Get something under the trim and gently pry up and it should pop. Work your way down to the other end.
I just pulled some off a 71 swinger the other day. I can check to make sure but I dont recall there being any through bolts, just the spring clips.
Be real careful with the cat wiskars. If the clips are rusty they will probably break. If they are original they are probably due for replacement anyways.
Mike, thanks for the info. I figured it had to be like them panel spring clips. What I didn't know was that you can get to them from the outside. My fear was that you had to tackle them from the inside of the door. Thanks again.

Drip rail chrome, Use a pliers/channel locks and a paint stick front to rear. Been saving them for years and just sold some sets at Carlisle. If not removed correctly they will arc and become useless. Vinyl trim is green on the backside and will not work on a non-vinyl car.
Oldman, you're a step ahead of me, that was my next question. I saw the sticky on using a can opener, what I didn't know was the green on the backside for vinyl. That will assist me when I go to buy new trim. Thanks for the tips.

Plastic paint scraper works good for the door trim.
Paint stick works for the drip rail molding. Have extra paint sticks on hand, you will break a couple.

I did verify that the trim on top of the door only uses the spring clips. The back piece by the qtr window has that U shaped pot metal piece that screws on. Other than that it all just pops off.

I did verify that the trim on top of the door only uses the spring clips. The back piece by the qtr window has that U shaped pot metal piece that screws on. Other than that it all just pops off.
Mike, thanks for verifying that for me! That'll make it much easier knowing that.

-
Back