71 dart

-
Here is a quick update on the project. Sorry no pics i have a different computer and cannnot load pics yet. My car budget had to be spent on more important things. All is not lost though i have traded some parts and labor to get some of the stuff i needed. The project has changed some due to what i could get. It will now have airride and i had to change the 3-link some due to the links i was able to get. I hope to post some pics this weekend.

Finally an update and some pics. I am changing to a small block due to the BB oil pump and the steering needing the same space. The 3 link is in i just need to add the panhard bar and some other bracing. The upperlink may get moved it is just tacked in for now. I was able to get some coilovers and they should be here this week. My outer tierods should also be here so i will be able to finshup the front suspension. I also will be able to use a standard set of headers a set i had just happen to fit.

2v1u2cg.jpg

20tni49.jpg

263aaz8.jpg

i2voch.jpg

Dude, very very cool! You are doing an outstanding job man! Crazy fab skills you have there. I'm glad your doing this to a Mopar instead of a chevy! We need more pics!

Man glad to see someone is making progress! Im sure not!!! LOL
I think you'll be happier in the end with the small block. I've always kinda wondered why alot of people a lured to the BB. Lotsa weight ya know. I know that was a freebee and that helps to push it into the picture!
I see the steering is going to be tight. Are you able to run the shaft between the header and the block?
If so, maybe a system like what was used in aircraft a long time ago, would work for you to transfer the drive down the fire wall. Ill see if I can find a picture. Many guys have started using the method Im referring to, on Rat Rods.
Also, since you will need to service the engine at some point, have you thought about a removable fire wall? Or maybe a removable tunnel, sorta like a van. If you do something like a "fake" fire wall, you could conceal all electrics, as well as any mechanical "guts" of the steering.
I probably havent come across very clear. Ill try to post up some pics.

That is some fantastic work BlackBetty. Sometime after I get the Cuda built I'd love to tackle a project like that. I admire your perseverence and courage to tear into a first time project like that, you are well on your way to becoming a pro builder. That frame looks like a first class job to me and I like the way you got all those off brand parts to work. That front suspension job looks first class as well. Keep up the good work.:cheers:

How the heck have I missed this thread? I think it is cool and I admire your bravery. Keep the pics coming and I think you made the right choice by going with the small block. By the way I have a 9" in my dart.

Man glad to see someone is making progress! Im sure not!!! LOL
I think you'll be happier in the end with the small block. I've always kinda wondered why alot of people a lured to the BB. Lotsa weight ya know. I know that was a freebee and that helps to push it into the picture!
I see the steering is going to be tight. Are you able to run the shaft between the header and the block?
If so, maybe a system like what was used in aircraft a long time ago, would work for you to transfer the drive down the fire wall. Ill see if I can find a picture. Many guys have started using the method Im referring to, on Rat Rods.
Also, since you will need to service the engine at some point, have you thought about a removable fire wall? Or maybe a removable tunnel, sorta like a van. If you do something like a "fake" fire wall, you could conceal all electrics, as well as any mechanical "guts" of the steering.
I probably havent come across very clear. Ill try to post up some pics.

The picture makes the steering look tight but there is plenty of room for it. I am not planning on a removable firewall but i am going to try to make a removeable trans tunnel. The firewall will be moved back and the cowl will be removable or at least thats the current plan. I want to leave just enough of the cowl that i can keep the wipers. The lower front coilover mounts are done im not goin to do the uppers until i get the cage in. I will try to post some pics after i finsh shoveling the 2 feet of snow in my driveway.

Man this thing is wild!!!! You have skill for sure. Can't wait to see more progress. I wouldn't wanna have to try and work on that engine once it's done though :toothy10:

Very cool project and hats off to your fabrication skills.
If I can ask, what made you choose the Hedman Headers?
Price, performance, appearance???

Just re-read above post of yours; I may have answered my own question:

"I also will be able to use a standard set of headers a set i had just happen to fit."

Very cool project and hats off to your fabrication skills.
If I can ask, what made you choose the Hedman Headers?
Price, performance, appearance???

Just re-read above post of yours; I may have answered my own question:

"I also will be able to use a standard set of headers a set i had just happen to fit."

I bought the shortys for my valiant because they are the only shorty headers i could find. I was just lucky that i didnt install them yet and could try them on the dart.

I started to mock up the firewall and for the first time on this project something is going better then i thought it would. I have way more room around the engine, the wipers will work, and i will be able to get the distributer out. There is also no need to modify the cowl. My plan for tie rod ends isnt going to work but figured out what i need and the parts are on the way. The upper coilover mounts should be done this week. It will be a roller soon i didnt think it would ever get there, I cant wait.

14160ki.jpg

And yet another beautiful classic ruined by yet another set of rims and band-aid tires :angry7:.

Amazing to hear that coming from a 16 year old:-D.

WOW thanks man I guess I cant sit with the cool kids at lunch.:thumrigh:

Didn't you hear, he's a real "muscle car enthusiast" so he knows what he's talking about. I can't sit with the cool kids either...

I love your project man. Quick question, what did you do to get your suspension geometry set? I'm planning to pick up suspension analyzer to get the geometry right with the components I'm using. Finally found you and subscribed. Keep me posted on this build.

By the way, what's your member name on PT.com?

Here are some pics of the coilovers and the lower front mount.

2eojrlh.jpg

2cekume.jpg

34drbpy.jpg

2qn8jty.jpg

It may just be me, but those lower coilover mounts look pretty sketchy. Did you just drill and tap that Aluminum? I think that you have not only weakened that lower arm, but I dont think it will hold for very long. Why not use the factory mount? There is going to be a ton of stress in that area (literally). There is a reason why the stock mounts were cast where they were and beefed up in that area. It just looks to me like those bolts will either pull out or break off.

I like the build so far, but I would reconsider that.

I am using the factory mount holes they are made the same way all the coilovers kits are for corvette. I did not drill holes they bolt through the A arm in factory holes. Thank for the input.

-
Back