71 Demon 318 Auto or 72 Demon 340 4 speed

-

69CudaFan

Reaction score
Before you think I have a screw loose, hear me out. The 71 needs nothing but to be driven (nothing special, it is a yellow 318, auto car and the 318 was rebuilt a bit ago but is reliable), and the hemi orange 72 is missing a windshield, has not moved or even been started in 20 years, and the owner claims it is a barn find.

The 71 is down the street and the 72 is quite a drive (and the guy selling is real bad with computers so pictures are pretty much awful). I know the difference in cosmetics and the difference in fun factor of the 4 speed over the auto, I just wanted to conduct an informal poll to see what other members here thought. Both are within a few bucks between each other (think mid 5k range)...or are both sellers crazy? I am much better with Barracuda prices than I am with Dodge Demon prices...

This is super easy. Buy the 71 318 car. Please pm me all seller info on 72 4 speed car...lol..

Depends on how motivated you are for a project and how anxious you are to drive it. Demon 340 4 speed all the way for me. Can you afford a driver too? Do you have the space to do what is needed to the demon?

Both....talk them both down a bit and drive the 318 while you build the 340. Then sell the 318 and recover some costs! :D

Depends on what you want to do with the car.

I like driver's, so the '71 sounds like the better deal to me. Drive it now and put another engine/transmission together for it, its only a 318/auto car so the matching #'s thing isn't that important.

But if you're looking for a project and the numbers matching game means something to you the '72 340 will probably be worth more restored. But before I shelled out the money for the '72 340 I'd make sure it actually had a 340 in it, and the documentation to prove its really a 340 4 speed car. Otherwise, the '71 is a way better deal.

Well I see it this way... If you are planning on keeping the car forever, never selling it and only want a Demon to drive then get the 318 car. If by any chance you want a Demon to drive one day and maybe sell it later on the 340 4 spd car will be worth a good bit more. Feelings and instant enjoyment aside the 340 4 spd car will be worth twice if not more than the 318 ca. I know that there are just some cars that will not ever be sold.. but if there is a chance I would go for the 4sod car...

Depending on conditions I would consider both if I were you. Swap the nicer parts to the better car and sell the other to recoup some money. The 340 car will have three major components you would want for the 318 car. Besides the 4spd. You'l have the suspension, the 340 motor and the 8 3/4 rear and the rear is probably a 355 center section. The 340 is worth more then 5 k in parts alone.

I would have to drag a trailer to look at the 72 first .....then make a decision right then and there ,,,,,,, like some said, If you can get both, that would be awesome, sell which ever you don't like when the 72 is finished ( like we don't know which one your going to like!! ) But a restoration takes a while, for instant fun the 71 would be the way to go, a stripe kit, some wheels, Flowmaster or Dynomax exhaust and your rollin !!!

i had a same thing happen to me,2 1972 demons ,both blue,owned by brothers,both from cailf. the 340,four speed needed a restro.but the 318 car was a turn key car.one owner. i bought the 318 car. i always tell people by the most complete car they can,even if its more money,you will be money ahead in long run on repairs and parts.

Is the 72 numbers matching motor, trans, buildsheet and/or fendertag?

That car has more potential, but window missing and sitting for long time could make for a big project. And it's still a 72 low compression 340 car that won't bring the value as a 71 340 Demon 4spd. Hemi Orange is a good color. Does it have any other good options? Like J54 hood scoop.

I like the fact that you want to look at cars that are close that you can inspect in person. Smart!

The one Migsbig is selling for $4K might be a better deal. It's missing a $400 3.55 sure grip now. The aircleaner in the first picture of the ad was for a 70-71 car anyway. A 72 should have a orange single snorke air cleaner with a vacuum operated fresh air trap door in the back.

Sounds like you are after a Demon. Does it have to be a 4 spd?

-
Back