'71 Demon cluster retrofitting

-

French demon

Reaction score
Hello buddies

I really dislike the '71 Demon standard instrument cluster. IMO round gauges are ugly.
I wanted to install a Dart cluster into my Demon, but it's too much work and a lot of parts to find, including the dash frame. I'm in Europe and it isn't easy to find old used Mopar parts.

So, I tried something else : installing a 67-69 Plymouth Valiant cluster. An easier job (it's plug n play) and it's easily reversible.

I found for sale a 200 kph '68 Valiant cluster in a correct shape, but in need of a little restoration.
image0000001.jpg

Total disassembly :
20230915_164349.jpg

Black and silver paint job.
cluster.jpg

The clear lenses have been cleaned and polished.

I also replaced the ammeter with a voltmeter.
20230921_183011.jpg
For having three identical needles, I sticked on the original ammeter Mopar needle on the chinese voltmeter

And then, the original ammeter face (I erased the D and C letters, and add 8<->16 volts graduations)
20230921_221206.jpg

New gauges :
20230922_120021.jpg

I also replaced the high beam red light by a more modern blue light :
High beam.jpg

Illumination is OK
Eclairage TDB.jpg

Installation in car. Everything work.
20230929_170235.jpg

Completed work :
20230930_125614.jpg

Hope you like and sorry for my clumsy english :rolleyes:
François

Last edited:
Hi Troy, thanks...
Not original, but at least, I have now a cluster that I like.
68 Valiant cluster.jpg

You don't have this kind of problem with your Demon 340. The rallye dash is a really nice cluster :thumbsup:

Hi Troy, thanks...
Not original, but at least, I have now a cluster that I like.
View attachment 1716148177

You don't have this kind of problem with your Demon 340. The rallye dash is a really nice cluster :thumbsup:
I like the cluster that you are using, and you did a really nice job refinishing/retrofitting it to your car.

Well done. I don't think I've ever seen an ammeter to voltmeter replacement that looked as factory as what you did.

It was my goal. Turning the ammeter into a voltmeter which look original
I'm glad you like my work, thanks

The 1970 Valiant cluster looks exactly like that but it doesn't have the Flasher button on the face of cluster

-
Back