71 Demon one piece headliner question

-

a34

The Etowah Flash
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I have a Demon with a one piece headliner. Where can I get a good replacement for it? If there aren't any, can I switch to a bow type headliner? Are the bows reproduced?

Thanks !
:burnout:

Is the hard headliner the same as the one for the Duster? Someone here got a killer deal on one from AMZN and free shipping. I would like to put a hard headliner in my race Demon - it used to be cloth judging from the scraps of fabric left over.

Is your headliner still solid? Mine was in good structural shape but looked like crap. My wife bought some nice fabric that went well with the interior. It was pertty easy to fit and glue the fabric onto the panel and took about an hour or so. Now it looks better then it ever did from the factory

Is the hard headliner the same as the one for the Duster? Someone here got a killer deal on one from AMZN and free shipping. I would like to put a hard headliner in my race Demon - it used to be cloth judging from the scraps of fabric left over.

That was me who got the deal at amazon and it was for a dart and apperantly they do this every now and then.You'll have to look up the ACME number and search that way looks like the Acme number is AFH34-FBTFBH21 for black

I bought one for my Duster. $222 without any kind of deal, but well worth it. Someone must have converted your '71, pretty sure they all had the cloth headliners. Not a bad idea though, after seeing the ABS foambacked kind I'm rethinking putting any cloth headliners back in ANY of my cars. Too bad ACME doesn't make anything for the Challenger...

Here's the link on Amazon

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Acme-AFH34-FBTFBH21-Plastic-Headliner-Foambacked/dp/B0050N7CLC/"]http://www.amazon.com/Acme-AFH34-FBTFBH21-Plastic-Headliner-Foambacked/dp/B0050N7CLC/[/ame]

If you've got all the bows and stuff from yours, maybe we can do a trade. Mine is not bad and probably fine for a racecar. If interested, just pm me.

Is your headliner still solid? Mine was in good structural shape but looked like crap. My wife bought some nice fabric that went well with the interior. It was pertty easy to fit and glue the fabric onto the panel and took about an hour or so. Now it looks better then it ever did from the factory

Good point, I'll have to look more closely at it.

I bought one for my Duster. $222 without any kind of deal, but well worth it. Someone must have converted your '71, pretty sure they all had the cloth headliners. Not a bad idea though, after seeing the ABS foambacked kind I'm rethinking putting any cloth headliners back in ANY of my cars. Too bad ACME doesn't make anything for the Challenger...

Here's the link on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Acme-AFH34-FBTFBH21-Plastic-Headliner-Foambacked/dp/B0050N7CLC/

Thanks, this looks like a nice option. Might consider this as well.

I thought the 1 piece cardboard headliners only came in the 72 cars....hmmm

What is the build date of your 71 ?

My 73 Sport has one

I think everything after '72 had them. My '74 Duster does, and so did the '74 Dart I parted.

No reason they won't fit the earlier cars though. You would have to do a little work with the sail panels on the earlier cars though, since the later cars had a different style to take account for the 1 piece headliner.

I thought the 1 piece cardboard headliners only came in the 72 cars....hmmm

What is the build date of your 71 ?

Yep, I did too. I'll have to check the build date and take pics of the install. Maybe someone did it later.

If you've got all the bows and stuff from yours, maybe we can do a trade. Mine is not bad and probably fine for a racecar. If interested, just pm me.

No, my 71 race car has nothing up there but what foam insulation still remains and some shards of cloth. That is why I was asking about putting in a hard headliner. I already have a hard set of sail panels I bought from a member here. Haven't even opened the box yet. I am not sure how well the install of the hard liner would go. There are bars in the car and the thing would have to be slid through the windshield opening over the bars to get it installed. May not be wide enough.

No, my 71 race car has nothing up there but what foam insulation still remains and some shards of cloth. That is why I was asking about putting in a hard headliner. I already have a hard set of sail panels I bought from a member here. Haven't even opened the box yet. I am not sure how well the install of the hard liner would go. There are bars in the car and the thing would have to be slid through the windshield opening over the bars to get it installed. May not be wide enough.

It should fit just fine. The roof structure didn't change any from '70 to '76, and the Demon is the same as the Duster.

The roll cage will complicate things, but the ABS 1 piece headliner is pretty flexible, I think you could make it work a lot easier than the cloth type. In fact, the ABS headliner comes shipped rolled up, it has to be unrolled and laid flat prior to installation. I don't think it would be that hard at all to sneak it past a roll bar.

Looks like the Build date is Nov 70, so it should be a bow type headliner. Inspection further revealed part of a cloth headliner in the sail panel. Guess the next step is to remove the one piece and see if there are bows under it.

Do you know if you have to remove the windshield to install that acme headliner? I'm thinking of buying one but I don't want to remove my windshield.

Do you know if you have to remove the windshield to install that acme headliner? I'm thinking of buying one but I don't want to remove my windshield.

No the headliner will tuck up under the front windshield gasket.

No the headliner will tuck up under the front windshield gasket.

No windshield removal necessary.

And you don't even have to tuck it into the windshield gasket. I left my 1 piece ABS headliner out of the gasket, looks better anyway. The headliner is stiff enough by itself to not need the additional support from the windshield gasket.

How does it attach to the roof?

Roofing nails, :D

Seriously though, things dome light, coat hooks, rear view mirror help hold it. Then there is the metal trim pieces that hold it along the edges.

Yup. Between the dome light, coat hooks, rear view mirror, sun visors and shoulder mounts for the seat belts its held in place quite well. And the ABS is pretty rigid, it doesn't sag at all across the front windshield because of the rear view and visors, but it doesn't even sag any across the rear windshield were basically nothing holds it up.

And with it not tucked into the windshield rubber, it does a pretty good job of hiding that gasket. I think it looks far better with the headliner outside of the gasket.

-
Back