71 Demon Radio Removal

-

hux340

Reaction score
Hi All,
As stated above I tried to remove the factory radio from my Demon as I need to get it repaired. Looked under the dash & removed the nut from the bracket at the rear of the radio & the two nuts behind the knobs on the front but something is still stopping from somewhere behind the dash.
All help appreciated.
Cheers,
Glenn.

Iirc the heater controls were kinda in the way, but it's been a long time....

This is from my 71 Plymouth F.S.M. for A body radio removal. With rally cluster and a/c, in addition to what you have already done, remove the 2 outlet retaining nuts and remove duct. It is also necessary to remove the right defroster hose & hose bracket from back of radio.

Remove bottom screw from radio mounting bracket.

Remove left defroster tube.

Loosen top screw on radio mounting bracket & Remove bracket. Disconnect speaker & antenna leads.

That should do it.

Hope this helps.
From pg 8-94

Hi All,
Would someone be able to explain to me how to remove the factory radio from my 71 Demon, it needs to be repaired?
Cheers,
Glenn.

pull the knob - 4 pieces, total then the 3/4" flat nut on each post. there should be a bracket on the rear, phillips screw. pull out from rear AFTER disconnecting power, antenna and speaker wires

I know of some hardware that was added in 1968 for their dumb wheel radio. However I don't know if all this was deleted from all models/builds when they switched back to the knob radio. My pizz poor memory is suggesting a knob type radio with the added support plate(s) on it. That's the only reason I would respond to mention here. Soooo. I would remove the ash tray support and feel around between the radio and wiper switch. I just might find what is called a keyhole stud with a nut there ( about 3/4 inch from the radio chassis ). And if there is one found on the left side, there could very well be one on the right side also. I just don't know.
Best advise is the factory service manual correct for your 71 model rally dash.

-
Back