71 Demon seat belt question......

-

bradfields

Reaction score
My 71 Demon has the shoulder belts that store up above the drivers and passengers windows, when I bought the car, it had Mustang II (yuck!) bucket seats in it, to make the seats fit, somebody tossed all of the front seat belts and hardware except for the drivers buckle and those shoulder belts. My question is what all do I need to find to make my seat belts functional again? Did the shoulder belts fit in a separate buckle from the lap belts? Are retractors used for the lap belts? Oh, the car is a bench seat car.

if it is the same as my car then the bottom buckles should have retracting capability. The end that buckles should have a small part that allows you to clip the shoulder belt on, it should look a bit like a car door stop.

yes^^^ the side floor mounts are retractables. the floor hump mounts have lap buckles and the shoulder strap clips on to it.

yes^^^ the side floor mounts are retractables. the floor hump mounts have lap buckles and the shoulder strap clips on to it.

Yup. And they're a PITA too because the shoulder belt doesn't have any give to it since its not on the retractor. Not the most comfortable.

You may be better off trying to get a modern retractable set up than trying to piece together an old set unless you're going the full restoration route. I replace the ones I had with set from XV, but they're backordered into the next millenium last I heard. Still, might be easier to figure out a generic modern set.

Yeah, I'm not a full resto kinda guy, but would like to stay with something original looking, maybe I'll try and find a set of retractors and buckles and just leave the shoulder belts stored up there above the windows.

Yeah, I'm not a full resto kinda guy, but would like to stay with something original looking, maybe I'll try and find a set of retractors and buckles and just leave the shoulder belts stored up there above the windows.

If that works for you. I was just running lap belts on my Challenger, but I decided I didn't want to eat the dash if someone hits me.

The only real difference with the modern belt is that you always have the belt running up to the roof mount, so you can't tuck it out of the way. That was the part of the old set up that I liked, being able to tuck the shoulder strap up on the roof. Gives you an unobstructed window for pictures. Really shows off the hard top aspect of the car, no seat belt hanging down in the way.

But I drive my cars too much to trade safety for the aesthetics of not having the seat belt hang down from the roof.

Makes sense, what kind of belts are you using in Challenger?

I have XV belts in my Challenger. They're awesome, although, I think they're back ordered for the rest of time.

If you're interested, I do have a set of the retractable lap belts with the stud for those shoulder belts. Not perfect, but they do work. Shoot me a PM if you're interested.

-
Back