71 Duster 340 Inviolet V-24 How Rare??

-
L31 on the turn indicators. Should be on the tag.

If going to max value, do it to the tag. Going to drive it and enjoy, go with whatever interior you like.

I would not put a 5 speed in it if it required cutting up the tunnel. I'd run a factory 4 speed.

No L31 on the tag so I guess they were just added by some one. One of the fenders is original and has the signal indicator but that doesn't mean they still were not just added at some point. Makes good sense on the 5 speed. I don't like a cut on car either so I would assume it would hurt value for others too. Thanks

If you did that car 100% original, with complete #'s drivetrain, it would be one of the most sought after 71 Dusters every produced.

Get the original trans even if you have to pay a premium for it.

Seriously?? What makes it so desirable the v24?

Whats the best way to go on the underside. Matched Paint, black or undercoat?
This looks to be a factory undercoat car but want to do whats best for retaining the value. Sending it to the blaster in about 2-3 weeks. They provide an undercoat service when the car its done blasting. Just don't know if it would be better to color match it. Any Opinions on this? Thanks

if you are shooting for a restoration , then i would take pics and re-create what is undercoated and what isnt. if you are going to drive it , i would undercoat the whole underneath. my duster is still the way it came, only the rear wheel wells , front wells and outside front frame rails are undercoated. then entire underneath is a combination of primer and body paint.

Whats the best way to go on the underside. Matched Paint, black or undercoat?
This looks to be a factory undercoat car but want to do whats best for retaining the value. Sending it to the blaster in about 2-3 weeks. They provide an undercoat service when the car its done blasting. Just don't know if it would be better to color match it. Any Opinions on this? Thanks

I think you really should go back as close to the fender tag as possible to increase value. So even though I don't care for undercoating I would probably use it if it was me. I would however document the entire restoration with a lot of pictures including the condition of the underside without any coatings applied and the process you used to restore the underside back to factory original condition.

You can leave the color matched over restored bottom sides to the restro mod guys and the clone cars. IMO:D

Well it does make for a much more streetable car with undercoat thats for sure too. How well were these cars painted underneath from the factory? Did they shoot color over the whole underside and then undercoat on top of the paint or was it just painted with whatever bled over when top coating the cars and some parts left in primer? I see some pretty and shiney on the underside but can't imaging Chysler corp doing that kind of finish on the underside. Hell most topsides weren't that good if I remember correctly.

No expert but I think they had some form of pretty durable coating on the bottom along with some body paint overspray prior to undercoating. The undercoated cars I think also came with the pad clipped to the underside of the hood also. I'm sure others here can fill in the blanks.

Correct on the fender signal indicators. They were added to the car. Got hold of the original owner to verify.

-
Back