71 Duster 360 (new project)

-
removed alternator and electric water pump from old and put on new....

old 904 on side...going to reuse the converter.....for now...Turbo Action 4200 series...

dont know what it was....low blood sugar or just hungry but dam I hit the wall this afternoon and had to stop...probably need to go back to work...vacation time is killing me...

got tracking number from summit for flexplate.....and then I found one on another internally balanced engine...oh well...its just money...xmas...

garage floor a mess...couple of bags of kitty litter is neeed..

20181219_141720_resized.jpg

20181219_141727_resized.jpg

I am not moving too fast today...lol

doing the little stuff...switch motor mounts over...transmission lines...got converter installed...nss switch..reusing intake manifold so i got the gasket scrapped...and cleaned it....spun the oil pump again...

UPS man does not get here until late in the afternoon.....flexplate
going to get a tube of RTV and a soda...lol

ok...flexplate showed up and got it bolted on...go the trans and engine mated together....need to get Csr shield on it..taking a good look in morning to see if I can adjust front band with that suck on.....it is getting cut if I can not....

Ignore all the other junk laying around and the mess....engine going back in tomorrow..........probably should wash the engine bay with high pressure hose....might be Baby its cold outside....lol

20181220_165110_resized.jpg

20181220_165118_resized.jpg

OK.....yesterday I did some small things....Had to drop the drag link so I could get the passenger side old headers off...got the trans x member all bolted down..need to get new tti headers on.....

today...Christmas eve.....driver side header goes on in like a minute....had small issue getting inside bolts started on tubes 2 and 8...but done ...everything tighten up and get oil filter on too
move on to driver side...I even read the instructions....these are the 1 7/8 race headers built for cars with no torsion bars which is the same as an E body header..
I have the car in the air on the hoist....try to get header on...but it is a no go.....lower the car down to get floor jack under oil pan to raise engine as the instruction says.....after a few minutes of wiggling around the headers do side up ....lower engine enough to get one bolt started....then I lower the engine...and then let the car back on the ground...
Quickly i get 4 header bolts in going from the front to the back...now No. 7 tube.....finally get the outside bolt to start...but can not get the inside started....can not get a wrench on the bolt to turn it..can not get my fingers in there to turn it....****...after a couple of hours...I take a header bolt and using a grinder I cut a notch for a flat tip screw driver ....I think i got this sucker now....nope...
ok...I take all the bolts out....starting over ....I put the tube 7 inside bolt in 1st....I get the tube 7 outside started....now I can not get any of the other 4 bolts started....they appear to be just a hair off...
Ok I will call TTi...nope closed until January 2....wow...thanks...not like they can do anything for me anyway

I am going to remove the headers on Wednesday and try to just ream No.7 bolt holes out.....I got quite a few sets of TTi headers.....only one I ever had problems with...I ordered these at MATS last year.....

Took them off this morning...it is simpler to remove the steering column since it is gutted .....anyway tried to bolt them onto another engine with eddy heads...actually the 360 that was just removed from this car....could not get no.7 inside tube started....drilled both holes on the tube no. 7 to 3/8 and bingo everything bolt on.....the second picture shows the notched header bolt that i had to do to get it started put snugged.......Merry Christmas tti...LOL

20181225_113910_resized.jpg

20181225_113920_resized.jpg

Things went pretty good this morning....got all the bolts started and tighten up....you can still feel the bolts dragging on the header flange due to a small misalignment....but as said nothing fits out of the box anymore...

everything under the car is done except hooking up the cable shifter......I need spark plugs for it.... Autozone ordered some NGK BPRE8 which all the cars use....suppose to be in this afternoon but I had gone home ..So tomorrow will be check everything over day with Friday being the light my fire day.....

20181226_095755_resized.jpg

Made another mess on the floor...some one...dont know who.....put the oil filter back on without checking to make sure the gasket was there.....I had previously used that filter while I primed the engine and had taken it off while i put the engine back in the car...I swept the floor while the car was still up in the air...and yes...i remember see a oil filter gasket in the pile....
It is actually my refrigerator's fault as my old refrigerator had my check list written on it with a magic marker of previous screws up...and I swapped out refrigerators last summer..

Anyway..the HV pump put some oil on the floor....still had kitty little left over.....and my new TTi headers will not rust with that fresh coat of 10w-30 with Zppd additive.
Finally got the old girl fired...that E85 and cold weather do not like each other....but squirting raw gas helped...let is run for a bit....not 1st rodeo for this cam and lifters in this engine....

Need to pick up some sheet metal tomorrow to make a rear fire wall for that 75 Duster.....

Just got done finishing up hooking up the drag link and steering gear.....too cold to run engine....maybe tomorrow or next.....need to check valve lash anyway......

I am certain TTi has women working there....as the collector extensions in the paper work says they are 9 inches in length...my tape measure says 6...so i got some bare 3.5 flanges and welded some 3.5 tubing to them...had some old hooker header 18 inch extension...cut in half...9 inches

Just got done finishing up hooking up the drag link and steering gear.....too cold to run engine....maybe tomorrow or next.....need to check valve lash anyway......

I am certain TTi has women working there....as the collector extensions in the paper work says they are 9 inches in length...my tape measure says 6...so i got some bare 3.5 flanges and welded some 3.5 tubing to them...had some old hooker header 18 inch extension...cut in half...9 inches
I would recommend a 7 heat range plug for E85...

Pulled all the plugs out....look ok as they came out of the old engine but were cleaned...nothing fouled...
Pulled the valve covers and ran the valves.....no problems there either....

So waiting on a new set of plugs and need to put steering column back in place....probably done...

except for the dana 60.....lol

Went over and put a new set of plugs in this morning...too dam cold....36 degree in garage...out of here....
Was going to run the engine and test the transbrake....not this morning...this afternoon maybe...lol

Well...as they **** happens......tested the transbrake today...no go...put in 1st...engage brake and it acts like it is not there....but in neutral ..engage brake and reverse works...

it is getting power...and double checked linkage...this trans was rebuilt 1.5 yrs ago and been sitting in a plastic bag.....make phone call in morning ....then make a plan to fix .....
TNT is next weekend....

Apparently the trans has issue in the front drum with sealing rings...so after 90 minutes....everything is unhooked and ready to come out tomorrow...going to reinstall the old trans which was working just find...

Rush home to get to work on this Duster....Engine is pulled....I separate the trans...remove converter and put on bench...run tap thru threads to clean them up....

drag old trans out....remove pan....pan is cleaned......adjust both bands....install pan using that same old gasket...sit down to relax for a minute....then the oh **** moment comes....

that old trans has a 2.74 low gear.....well..that aint going to work....so tomorrow....remove and replace gear set >>>LOL..

I think it is too much gear with the 4 inch stroke....and current 4.56 gears...

Busy day.....got the trans all button back up and dropped it in the Duster this morning....bunch of little **** tried to stop me last night....thrust washers....case connector for transbrake..

Back to that Dana 60...I have been waiting on someone to get their shop done to weld the ends on and he has had problems getting final inspections....so now he say Feb.....
One of my coworkers told me he new someone who does that and got me a phone number...called him on friday and left a message...He called me back tonight....going to drop it off on Monday to get it done...finally....then I gotta call Doctor Diff to get the axles for it....

Finally got the new ends welded on that Dana 60........need to get a final measurement on the housing and call Doctor Diff and get some new axles heading this way.....

Worked on getting everything hooked back up yesterday but did not get there today.....but this is not my 1st rodeo so i can get everything done in a hour or two...

All said and done looks like the Dana 60 will be 47 inches from axles flange to axle flange...that will work.....calling the Doctor in the morning to order the axles.

Need driver side headers....starter and shift linkage still need to be done

-
Back