71 Duster 360 (new project)

-
finished up the fuel cell and battery mounts today...bought some 3/8 all thread for the battery hold downs tonight...

pulled the bucket seats down front loft, got the seat brackets on it...drilled a few holes..then put them in the car...got daughter to set in seat to make sure things fit...drilled holes in floor...did not finish passenger bucket set.. got brackets mounted but i could not find one set of bolts for them....took them out of the box two month ago..lol

with kid in seat...i positioned the b&m pro stick shifter on the tunnel...and moved it around to where she was comfortable with it...drilled holes..and finger tighten the bolts..,,need to attach cable on hole saw a hole in the tunnel for the cable...

tonight made a run to lowes for bolts, washers, and nuts for seats...and all tread for battery hold downs..

So tomorrow...I should have the seats bolted in...but they will come out for carpet.....black carpet to match engine bay and trunk...

tomorrow..hopefully...will get new fuse box and wiring harness mounted on firewall and close up holes in the firewall...

need to get camera unpacked....lol

well...placed an order tonight with jegs...I should get a ride in the dodge pro stocker...order had 38 items in it...

Wow where have I been! I cant believe i have missed this thread. Nice work! Ehh if you need i have several parts grills same style as yours if you need a piece to fix yours!

Wow where have I been!

In the Chat room?

Josh..I got a shark tooth grill for it....

Work on it again tonight, mounted fuse box and power junction box on inside of firewall, did not get seat mounted as they would be in my way, probably just get the holes drilled tomorrow then park them out of the way...need to drill some holes for the battery all threads...

got one hole left in the firewall to patch...the wiper motor.....get that done tomorrow also...

waiting on a BIG order from Jegs...wont be here until next wednesday...

I am thinking the 1st week of march the engine/trans might be going in....

Did not get much done last week...had to recoup from the vacation...

today...finally finished battery mounts...now waiting for parts for fuel cell and fuel line..

mounted fuel pump and wire in fuel pump relay...

tighten a front end parts..upper and lower ball joints were just finder tight...had small leak in left front brake (KH) ..had put some new brake lines on them....got all the brakes bled...pedal hard as a rock...

mounted msd 6 under dash..and begun wiring today.... should have most of the wiring done tomorrow...except for the switches...as i have changed my mind again on that..going with the Turbo Action command control same as on the other two cars.

Attachments

• IMG_0770.JPG
    94.9 KB · Views: 863
  • IMG_0771.JPG
    95.7 KB · Views: 847
  • IMG_0772.JPG
    103.8 KB · Views: 866
  • IMG_0773.JPG
    93 KB · Views: 871
Still waiting for the Fed Ex man to show up wtih parts....wasting a day away

Tony,can you take pics of the fittings you,ll be using on your fuel cell.I need to get 2 for the top of mine and am interested in what your useing.(check valve,vent fittings)Thanks

Scott...probably wont get to the top of the fuel cell for a couple of weeks...spending most of the time under the fuel cell...got #8 hose from fuel cell to pump and #8 hose from pump up to regulator on the fenderwell tonight...plus ran 6 gauge wire from trunk area to engine bay for one wire alternator.

Had to do some welding as I had not fulling welded one side of the rear frame connector in the area of where the fuel line was going.....

so tomorrow..should have all the fuel lines done...and got the battery cable to string from the trunk to the engine bay...and need to install battery shut off switch.

thought I was going to have all the fuel lines done today...but..had several moments of stupidity ...I had several pieces of what i thought was #6 hose for going from regulator to carb...and for the transmission to cooler...

well..after trying to get a #6 fitting on what i thought was a #6 hose...I realize the hose was a #8.....well...now waiting for an order of #6 hose..plus a couple more fittings.....well...now i know i got some extra #8 hose....LOL

got a great tool i bought years ago that i saw at the sema show..

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/kts-681

makes putting hose ends on steel braided simple....except went you try to put #8 hose on a #6 fitting..that was the clue something was wrong...

ran battery cable from where the master cut off switch is going to be to front of car...gotta wait until there is a starter there to put the lug on the cable....had to go get a 3/4 inch hole saw to cut hole for master switch..

well....found my test wires for the msd...test fired the ignition today....it was zapping the concrete floor...

My daughter and I realize this car is not going to be done for MATs...but will be ready easily for bracket racing season which starts late in April..beside she has never raced..and this car will need a couple test n tunes to work the bugs out it....as every car has.

It is now officially a race car...got a master cut off switch...LOL

Attachments

• IMG_0780.JPG
    63.3 KB · Views: 790
well..wednesday afternoon the fed ex truck finally showed up....was waiting for parts....also ordered a helmet and jacket for the daughter..

Attachments

• IMG_0776.JPG
    101.3 KB · Views: 767
and did some work on Thursday and today...wiring and plumbing..getting the small stuff done ....got alot of the wiring under the dash almost done...waiting for turbo action command center to show up on Tuesday...

Attachments

• IMG_0782.JPG
    88.8 KB · Views: 775
  • IMG_0781.JPG
    82.2 KB · Views: 766
  • IMG_0783.JPG
    104.2 KB · Views: 773
she comes out in the garage and watches...hand me tools....but even better she got a job...lol

Alright...checked Fed EX tracking numbers...and Turbo Action Command Center will be here on Monday...and my #6 hose and fitting will be here on Monday too...So tuesday..the wiring and fuel line plumbing should be done...

need to work on gauges...steering column and steering wheel..and dash...

Installed moroso 30% under drive pulley on front of the end this morning and adjusted the rockers (preloaded the hydraulic lifters).....

probably looking at installing engine/trans on monday of next week...i hope.

Got the Turbo Action Command Center mostly wired in...still got to wire up the start button...everything else is done....fuel pump, water pump, fan, and lights...and the ignition switch.

Should have the starter circuit done tomorrow...did not have any wire long enough to go from the starter relay switch to the start button.

And if the #6 hose and fitting show up tomorrow i can wrap up the fuel system.

Gotta get some carpet ordered up...or might wait and see if anyone has any deals at MATS and buy it there.

Attachments

• IMG_0784.JPG
    69.4 KB · Views: 735
  • IMG_0785.JPG
    66 KB · Views: 721
Ok...got all the wiring done that i can get done with out the engine being in the car...just got the alternator, starter, electric water pump and electric fan to connect once they are in the car...everything under the dash is done.

probably need to hook up a battery and voltage test everything..or smoke test...lol

got 3 hole gauge bezel mounted..got oil pressure and water temp gauge installed...voltmeter was in my garage...tomorrow...

tomorrow the rest of the fuel line shows up..and fitting...will finish making up fuel lines from regulator to carb...and transmission lines too....

need to do some work on the dash..remove old dash pad...going to put a dash cap over the existing pad.

fed ex showed up early today...before noon....guy must have got lost...

note to self...when installing hose end on to steel braided line..never hold the fitting between your legs while you are using a box end ratchet wrench and swing the wrench towards your family jewels....needed to take the full 5 minutes they give ya in the UFC went kicked in groin ...

as you can see the fuel lines are done....carb is hanging out in air...worked inside car..got a old instrument panel installed...nothing behind it...all the gauges are gone...closed up heater and radio holes in dash...gotta get rid of that ugly dash pad...got voltmeter installed...and wired...

did a couple of things this morning while waiting for FedEx guy....changed out pushrods in the 360...had 3/8 diameter pushrods...changed them out for 5/16...and readjusted valves...and poured 5 qts of 10w-30 in the engine...turn oil pump over with speed handle ....squired oil out the hole where the oil pressure gauge goes...so she got oil pressure..going to hook up a gauge in morning..i needed a fitting...and prime motor...

I guess I can put the door panels back on...got new clips for them...car came with only one driver side rear door panel...picked up a set on ebay used...but they look pretty good.

Attachments

• IMG_0786.JPG
    84.4 KB · Views: 700
  • IMG_0788.JPG
    86.3 KB · Views: 693
Got oil gauge hook up to engine on stand this morning...turned oil pump with speed handle and got 65 psi on the gauge....turned engine over slowly and got oil out of rockers....good to go...

need to get the engine moved one garage to another....

they both have been around the sport since they were kids...always went to the track with dad...

today...got door panels in...make the interior look a lot better...put the front wheels on...cranked the torsion bar adjuster back up....

steering column...getting rid of automatic collar and install manual collar...did not get it finished...waiting on a part...need to get steering wheel back in car ...i have to get car out so i can get engine into garage...

well..tomorrow going to install a used set of slick on it and set the car back on all four wheels...

-
Back