71 Duster 360 (new project)

-
Fired her up about 5 pm this afternoon...after a "few' small problems....new fan does not fit radiator..and carb problem.....sounds good...

few more little things to fix in morning and away we go to the races thursday night

well...just got email...TnT is friday night...dam...what am i going to do with a free day...

anyway...that is good...can get motorhome running...change alternator in demon...and the few things for the duster....

ok...so much for a day off...got small water leak and oil leak fixed......engine really sounds nice with the solid lifter cam...KV-3 Engle...

motorhome is giving me fits with the ignition...going to rewire the ignition...got 36 yrs of old wiring....

tonight's TnT canceled already......someone at the track must have gotten a rain drop on them...

with TnT cancel.....finally got a change to look at my motorhome as why it would not start...well...in my haste to make waste...i figured the ballast resistor was bad...well...I never put a ohm meter to verifiy that it was bad...

so..this morning i checked it...it is good...so...i turn my attention to the pickup coil...and air gap good...

took know good distributor and plugged it in...turned it by hand...****..sparks flying everywhere...so bad pickup coil...

swapping the complete distributor out.....

Dam Tony.... You are itching to get out there and burn rubber.... :)
You go man...Race the wheels of them things... ;)
Love your updates Dude...Very Cool...
Be Safe..

and cancel race this morning...and it never rains...what would you know...LOL

Should be an easy weekend...only two cars...Tonya is in NYC for the weekend.

yeah ...it was raining at my house...and I am only 7 miles away....which really does not mean anything out here in the desert.....

you watching Jr Dragsters?....cause the is probably all they are running this morning...

In the summer time...on a hot day..they usually take a water truck and hose the track down to cool it off...looks like today they wont have to do that...LOL

and it never rained yesterday...really wanted to get Duster out there yesterday to put some runs on it....today...you only get two time trials...

Lousing night at the races...humidity...dam...for vegas 65%....

anyway..duster went 12.21 at 101 on first pass on new short block...'

dropped jets in carb....and had dam rocker back off...fixed that too...

2nd pass on new short block goes 11.83 @ 111......

then 1st round of eliminations.....we wait and wait....weather has gotten worst....wind now blowing...and lightning ....radar shows wind storm and rain....

race postponed .....they will try to run both races tomorrow night...

And the never ending weekend continues....back to the track....

what a long painful weekend....

well..sundays night eliminations 1st round.....daughter launches in second gear....she is toast...lol

ok...so on to saturdays elimination...on sunday night.....one time run the car runs 11.77...

first round last sunday night...Christin is going to run a nova dial in at 12.47...well..we end up waiting due to a car breaking on the track...the guy changes his dial in to 12.51....

so he takes off first...the Duster coughs and dies 5 feet pass the starting line..the Nova never looks back and runs a 12.47...and breaks out...the starter come over to the car as we get it refired...and says you guys won..he broke out...

back in the pits...i find the negetative wire on the coil loose and fall out of the crimp...while fixing that one the postivie wire fall out too...dam...

So now we have to come back on Monday....to finish Saturday race..the guy with the nova is there as no one told him he lost....his time slips says he won cause they reset the clocks before the duster made it down the track...and we confirmed it with the tower before going home that night that she was the winner.

she launches..and goes down the track then we see smoke...and the clean up trucks are rolling...LOL

so i had change out short blocks do to noise sounding like a bearing...and finally got it torn about yesterday......no rod bearing..no main bearing...only thing I found was a cam bearing missing a piece with the cam lobe next to it all chewed up.....

so all in all this nothing really messed up except cam bearing and camshaft.....oh well..

on the last pass the "new short block" looks like it kicked a rod....stock 340 rod...good old 40+ year old stuff...

started to tear that engine apart today got the intake off.....well...chunks of metal every where...i can see the camshaft is broken... ..

ok moving on to getting the heads off..

Attachments

• IMG_1025.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 396
and then i get the passenger side head off.....the oil pan has a hole in it on the driver side....am i missing something or is this a 7 cylinder motor.....piston and compete rod is gone...

Attachments

• IMG_1026.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 395
  • IMG_1027.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 356
Good thing it is nothing but a 79 360 motor...LOL.....

Working on plans for next year.....looking at a few different ideas.....gotta go faster....lol

Last Pass......

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-22kGjLqjUA"]movie1 01 01 - YouTube[/ame]

-
Back