71 Duster from Hawaii

-

MissMy340

Reaction score
Hi all FABO members. I’ve been a lurker here for awhile… actually since 2006. I’ve had a 71 318 Demon, 72 340 Duster / 4 spd and now a 71 340 Duster.

I picked up the 71 Duster about 8 yrs ago and it has been in my garage since. Other priorities took over and I didn’t do anything and it just sat there and took up garage space… more like the wife’s parking space. Lol… now that I have some time, I’m starting to work on the car and deal w/ the rust issues.

Background… It’s a 71 340 Duster (original H code), auto, 8 ¾ (3.55), bucket seats, A/C car. As far as I know, the engine is stock w/ the only aftermarket item being the carter carb on the stock manifold. The previous owner removed the column shift and installed a B&M floor shifter. It even has the original exhaust manifolds. Rust in the typical spots… rear quarters, tail panel, lower rockers, doors, etc.

My original plan was to convert it to a 4spd (833) and modify an auto console to fit the 4spd. That may change and I may just leave it as an auto. But I do have most of the conversion parts as I’ve been collecting parts since day one…

Well the rude awakening… Here are some pics…

Tail Panel: I had another tail panel… not as rusted as the original and I was planning to just remove/fix the tail light area. But upon looking at the extent of the rust, I just ordered a complete AMD tail panel. This is the picture of how it looks now. I’ll be attacking at area after the other sections. Oh and also, the trunk gutters are shot but I ordered new AMD replacementstoo. BTW, ignore the tape and markings…

IMG00060-20100113-1719.jpg

IMG00059-20100113-1719.jpg

Right Rear Quarter Panel: I used the refrigerator magnet to check on the bondo and decided to work on the rear quarter. This is a pic after some bondo removal and cutting away of the lower panel. The previous repairs were so terrible that I would estimate that there was at least ½ inch of bondo slapped on the lower quarter panel. I found a bunch of screws, wood dowel and other junk… in the trunk!
IMG00137-20100320-1243.jpg

IMG00140-20100320-1243.jpg

So I removed the lower section and found that the truck extensions were not that good. I’ll be repairing that w/ some sheet metal. Here’s a pic of the extension and area that I cut away and the poster board pattern I’m making.
IMG00142-20100320-2020.jpg

The lower panel was purchased a while back and I just need to cut and trim to fit the quarter. Here’s a pic of the trial fitting.
IMG00143-20100321-1638.jpg

Right Door Jamb: Here’s a pic of the door jamb that needed replacing. Worked on drilling the spot welds to remove the jamb. Finally got it out. I guess I got carried away w/ drilling... lol. BTW, check out the original repair w/ bubble gum…
First pic is the jamb w/ the rusted/bondo section.
IMG00111-20100227-1633.jpg

Previous bubble gum repair…
IMG00110-20100227-1633.jpg

Got the original jamb out and have my replacement one ready for trial fit. New jamb trial fit…
IMG00109-20100224-1742.jpg

I’ll be painting the inside of the panel (and everywhere else possible) w/ POR15 prior to closing up the section. Some trimming of the AMD panels were needed but I have to say they fit really well.

Right Lower (front) Quarter Panel: Lots of rust there so I had to fabricate a patch panel. Here’s the trial fitting of the patch panel. The screws are only temporary…
IMG00129-20100314-1630.jpg

IMG00122-20100314-1509.jpg

Passenger Door: I removed the passenger door and initially thought I was going to just repair the lower skin. Upon closer inspection, the door was shot. Extensive rust throughout so it wasn’t worth fixing. Luckily when I got the car, I got an extra door that wasn’t as bad. I worked on the lower door skin but I’m thinking that I’ll just use the better door and weld on a better lower door skin. Or if I’m lucky, I can pick up another door.

Sorry for the long post but that’s where I am. I haven’t welded and worked on a project like this in years but it’s all coming back and I have to say… it’s actually fun!

I want to finish this project, keep it AND get a new Challenger. We’ll see what the other half says… haha… all I know is that she wants the Duster out of the garage…

MOPAR or NO CAR!

Thanks for putting up w/ my story… and I’m sticking to it… haha

Dean

BTW, the photos only show the right side of the car as it's on jack stands now. AMD replacement panels I purchased include, lower quarters, tail panel, trunk gutters, door jamb. Also, I’m in Hawaii and parts are EXPENSIVE and SCARCE!

Welcome to FABO MM340! Lurking since '06 ... what?!? ;) It's looking good so far. Keep us updated. You should contact HawaiiDuster. He has Dusters and parts for sale.

Thanks for the welcome... Yeah been lurking just to keep my foot in the door and finger on the Mopar community pulse.
I've actually contacted him (Craig) through a local Mopar forum when he came back for a bit. He has a Duster that he's trying to sell... but I was mainly looking for body parts and maybe some 4spd parts too. I have most of the parts for the conversion except for some smaller items.

Welcome! Great start on the Duster.
Are you on Ohau? I used to live in Wahiawa. I am surprised at how many Mopars I see from Hawaii.

Nice project. Looks like its coming along well.

I think we should spot you at least 200 posts, for our 2010 longest lurker award :)

Grant

haha... i would appreciate a 200 post spot...
again, thanks for the welcome!
oneway... i live in mililani, which is a short throw from wahiawa!

Welcome to FABO. Looks like you got your work cut out for ya.Good luck with the build and keep us updated.8)

Welcome to FABO! I love Hawaii and try to vacation there every year. My favorite spot is Maui. I love going to the strip there and seeing all the amazing cars! Good luck with your car it looks good so far!

haha... i would appreciate a 200 post spot...
again, thanks for the welcome!
oneway... i live in mililani, which is a short throw from wahiawa!

I still have a few friends in Mililani. I should make a trip back and see how the rock has changed since '87. I went to high school at Leilehua.

Welcome to FABO! I love Hawaii and try to vacation there every year. My favorite spot is Maui. I love going to the strip there and seeing all the amazing cars! Good luck with your car it looks good so far!

thanks and yes maui is a nice place to vacation. it's almost like waikiki already w/ all the activities, etc.

I still have a few friends in Mililani. I should make a trip back and see how the rock has changed since '87. I went to high school at Leilehua.

wow... small world... i know a few people who when to leilehua. well since 87... i guess a lot has changed but you'll have to come back and see for your self... :cheers:

Looking good. Is the car originally from Hawaii?

i'm not really sure about that... i purchased the car from someone in the military as he was being transferred... but i do believe it do through several owners... i just don't have the background... yet

Welcome aboard!!! You get bonus points for a welcome thread with the most pictures LOL (Well, I guess you've had four years to stock them up ;-))

Looks like a great project! Keep us posted on your progress.

Hey FABO gang... just wanted to post up a quick update... yesterday had a couple of hours to work on the Duster... the more I dig, the more problems I find. As I was working on the right lower quarter / trunk extension, I started to dig further and further. Well long story short is that the trunk extension had to come out along w/ other parts of the trunk floor... seems like the previous owner fiberglassed the trunk to cover up the rot...

Anyway, I ended up removing the trunk extension and part of the tail panel to reveal the condition of the metal. I'll post pics later as I was snapping away w/ my camera phone.

It's frustrating yet hopefully rewarding knowing that the repairs are done better than what was previously done on the car. Wish I ordered more sheetmetal from AMD....

Aloha Dean! Well I for one am glad to see another DUSTER saved! Thats excellent. I cant remember if we have met before. If not Aloha! If so. Sorry for not remembering. Do you get out to the cruise nights? I believe the next one is this Saturday in Mililani...your back yard. By the Long John Silvers. 6 pm.

Hope to see you there...I'll either have my Duster or Barracuda....

Aloha Mike

BTW love the restore...keep posting we love pictures!

Hey wassup Mike. Yeah this Duster was in my garage for years while I had other family priorities... haha. Anyway, now's the time to start. I'm trying to save it and do the best I can.
We haven't met and I haven't gone out on the cruise nights... just wouldn't seem right cuising in my 07 Frontier CC... lol. Maybe I'll swing by though. Hey but I've seen photos of your car and that's what I want my car to look like! Oh btw, I'm trying to get me a 2010 or 2011 Challenger too.
Again, thanks all at FABO!
Dean

Hi Dean!! Welcome!! I too live on Oahu-Waianae side!!! I'm in the same project mode with my 67 Barracuda notchback!! Nice Dusters!!! Hope to meet up with you soon!!

Mahalo,
Chad

-
Back