71 Duster- Rear Bench Seat

-

Pawned

N.R.A. Lifetime Member - And damn proud of it
Reaction score
Since I got my car, in 2011, the most difficult part I have to install is the rear bench seat. In the past I have turned hydraulic floor jacks, on their side, and used that to press the seat far enough back to engage the hook to keep it in place.
My age and disabilities are catching up with me, to be able to muscle it into place

Does anyone have any tricks to push the seat back to engage the retaining clip?
Maybe if I put a rope around it and ran it out the trunk, tied it to a tree and then pull the car forward. Yes I know that is ridiculous

How many times do you need to replace it? Get a young guy to do it for you.......One and done, and leave it there.

Us it the right seat? They go in a lot easier than they come out. Look at the brackets on the floor and figure out what you need to do to latch the frame in.

Usually everyone picks up on the seat before they push back. This pulls the part of the frame down and forward which then you have to push back farther to unlatch it or install it. Bent the wire on the seat for the latch back up on the seat frame. This will move it back and make the seat reach the body hook easier.

I see many cars that have the same problem and its usually from a maniac removing the seat pulling up to hard before its back. You'll need to straighten the seat wire.

It‘s not the easiest job and requires a bit some dexterity if the front seat is still in. What are you doing with your Duster that has you removing the back seat bottom so often?

It‘s not the easiest job and requires a bit some dexterity if the front seat is still in. What are you doing with your Duster that has you removing the back seat bottom so often?
I just rewired the fuel sending unit and had to pop the seat to reach the wires to run it and installed a rear backup camera, needed to run the wires for that also
I am thinking of cutting the brackets off and welding them in closer to the front of the seat

I had a 71 Duster when I was 17 and never had problems with the rear seat. This car I think was reupholstered and the seats are thickerer

-
Back